West palm beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, Reck Diver, that is common practice up in Jupiter. It's all drift diving and it's with just one flag. Every dive I've ever done in Jupiter I get separated from the DM (as does most everybody else), and you have a SMB for when surfacing...

Think about going up to Jupiter and diving w/ Jupiter Dive Center.

Last time I was out with Jupiter (been a couple years) they are ultra safety conscious. Nothing wrong with that!!

Submersible Marker Buoy!

Yes, Reck Diver, that is common practice up in Jupiter. It's all drift diving and it's with just one flag. Every dive I've ever done in Jupiter I get separated from the DM (as does most everybody else), and you have a SMB for when surfacing...

Aren't you concerned that you could surface 300 ft from the dive boat, you could be in the path of speeding vessel who would be operating legally, since you are not displaying a diver down flag?

Surface marker buoy. The term "DSMB" is usually reserved for one launched from depth.

Palm Coast diver, I know you are coming down this way. Maybe check out th Scuba Club. They put multiple guides in the water and really do keep track of the guests. The guides try to take the guests up under a DSMB. They also have two pools,one 16 ft deep. You can practice with your DSMB.
Once you get comfortable and dialed in, come up to Jupiter and JDC.

Aren't you concerned that you could surface 300 ft from the dive boat, you could be in the path of speeding vessel who would be operating legally, since you are not displaying a diver down flag?

Wow. You're in South Florida and "just don't log dives". This is new to you? Not flaming, just saying I'm a little surprised.

Wow. You're in South Florida and "just don't log dives". This is new to you? Not flaming, just saying I'm a little surprised.

Stunned would be a better word. I can't believe after some of the accidents we've had down here, dive operators allow this practice. I have my own boat, and I can't tell you the number of times I've seen divers surface and the dive op is a mile away. If they only are marked with a SMB, and a horrific accident occurs, who is to blame?

Really not much different that having a dive flag. I can't tell you how many times I've seen prop wash overhead, and I have the flag. A flag isn't gonna protect me.
But, to keep this in the flavor of this thread.. I still don't understand the 1 flag per boat for diving in Jupiter...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom