West: Mahi and Black Rock.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Today we went west. Myself, JJ (VBlueV), Dave (bcyber), Dave, Jackie, and Lou.

First we dove the Mahi. Vis was not too great but it was a cool dive, even though there were no eagle rays.

These little creatures were on the mooring. I've never seen them before. Anyone know what they are?

excuse the poor quality

P4120741copy.jpg

P4120739copy.jpg

We went from there to Black Rock, where the vis was great until there was an underwater sandstorm that swept the site. Lots of life here.

peackockflounder2copy.jpg

P4130744.jpg

peacockflounder.jpg

P4130744.jpg

Hey who's that cool looking diver taking pics...hey that's me :crafty:

Taking picks of black rock cave and dive buddy Lou from China.

I think those critters are a form of pelagic barnacles that grow on objects in blue water.
While on a research voyage 5 yrs ago we saw these on almost every object we found 1000 miles from land. Only these were up to 1 ft long.
Click on the picture to see it better...sorry its an old still off my prehistoric camera.

and if you look at the previous picture in that album you will see me at 210 lbs....bit chunky I was!

well.. since my camera ran out of batteries Sunday..

i had to go back West on Wednesday with Andy..

here're some shots from that day..
Sharpcast Slideshow

and here's Andy with the Frogfish that lives at the base of the LCU-West mooring..
(notice the resemblance)
DSCN3658.jpg

and for Lonnie's "FAMILY-CREW".. here're those photos from last week..
(since Lonnie not only forgot to bring batteries.. but totally forgot to bring his camera too)
Sharpcast Slideshow

oh.. and here's video of the stingray we found on the way from LCU West toward the 29-Down airplane wreck..

and Lonnie's progeny..
Christy..
DSCN3242.jpg

Tammy..
DSCN3241.jpg

Back
Top Bottom