West East Coast of Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chocolate

Contributor
Reaction score
I heard that to get to the Western East Coast of Malaysia (the likes of Pulau Perhentian, Redang, Tioman, etc. not sure how to call that area), you almost always have to stop at KL overnight before flying to the islands the next day ~ that means 1.5 days of travelling at the very least. And then the same thing for the return trip.

Is this true? Cause if this is the case, it wouldn't be very convenient for people like me who have only about 5 days to spend.

Also, when is the "in" season for this area of Malaysia?

Thanks in advance.

nope, not true at all. you can get coaches and mini-vans to the various departure jetties to get onto your choice of either a ferry or speedboat to the island of you choice. Do take note however, that Perhentian and Redang is much further north than tioman, Aur, Dayang... so the jetties for the islands vary...

The season is from March to November.

Not too sure what you mean by 'western east coast'. Perhentian and Redang are toward the north; Tioman is toward the south. Check out this map to get an idea http://www.wikimapia.org.

If you can time your landing to the morning, you should be able to make it relatively easily.

If you aim for Tioman or Aur, you have a choice of KL or Singapore - Sing is actually closer.

Where are you flying in from?

....and we normally call it the "east coast of peninsular Malaysia".

ha, ok, the east coast of peninsular Malaysia.

Well, I'll be flying in from HK. But not sure how's the flight schedule from there is like, does any of you guru knows?

Also how does diving varies between the different areas? This will be the first time I'm visiting the area.

Chocolate
If you are tight on time e.g 5 days then I would fly in to to islands and wither fly or take a coach on the way back.
You could fly into Singapore or KL.
http://berjaya-air.com/flightschedule.htm
Will give you flight times.
If you went to Singapore and then Redang you might have to fly back to Singapore as I don't know how long the coach would take.
Obviously if you can take the coach it uses up some no-fly time.

If you get some flight times to Singapore / KL I can look into transfer times.

Back
Top Bottom