Went to LDS today and picked out my gear-how did I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PepsiTwist

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I picked out almost everything, I think I forgot a few things but I was mainly looking to see what they had and what it costs. Heres the lowdown

~3mm Tilos Tiantium Suit (Full) Blue-------$89.95
~Deep See Polynesia Low Cut Booties-----$27.95
~Atomic Aquatic Split Fins----------------$180.00
~Tilos M580 Full Panoramic Mask----------$64.00
~Zeagle BC------------------------------$450.00
~Hood-----------------------------------$27.00
~Snorkel (cheap bcuz likely wont be used)-$12.95
~Gloves----------------------------------$22.95
~Weight Belt-----------------------------$22.00
~Weights (all that I will need)-------------$40.00
~Aladin Tec 3----------------------------$450.00
~Tank-----------------------------------$180.00
~Scuba Pro G250Hp----------------------$499.00

I know I missed the octo for sure but I just wasnt sure which to get. So how did I do?

I felt pretty proud of myself, I checked out a couple books from the library and I learned a lot, so while I was there I felt like I actually knew what I was talking about!:D

i see by your previous posts you are still a young'en so :happywave and welcome

wow - already set to go and well done on your purchases... cant go wrong with a zeagle BC

enjoy and safe diving

cheers

Definitely one of the better "beginner" purchases I've seen. That's a boatload to spend on fins though! At least you got good ones.

Holy cow, I would never pay over $100 for fins. Get some Jets for under $100. How do you even know yet if splits are what you need?

I think it looks like a hodge podge of overpriced equipment but if you've got the money go for it. I think I spent less and have two full sets of quality gear but I bought it here and there with an eye for bargains. You should be getting a hefty package discount on all that.

At least you knew not to waste money on a fancy snorkel.

If you haven't already bought this, then when you go in see if they'll cut you a deal since you are buying so much at once. I'd ask for 10% off or something, since you are buying tonnes of stuff at once.

PepsiTwist,

Nice looking stuff. I take it this is for warm water diving, where do you plan to dive?

The low cut booties may open you up for more flushing through the legs and heat loss.

I echo the $$ on the Atomic Splits. Many swear by them but many also swear at them, be careful.

Planning will pay off, congratulations on thinking ahead.

Pete

It's actually hard to comment on some of this, because you don't say where you will be diving and some of the items people can't tell exactly what they are, such as "gloves" & "tank." And Zeagle makes more than one model of BC.

Your profile says you are not certified yet, do you plan on buying all this stuff before your class or are you just having fun planning? Gear shopping is fun, but it's generally best not to buy anything but personal gear (mask, fins, booties, snorkel) before class because it's really hard to tell what gear is right for you before you've actually dove at all. Definitely not a tank - and if it turns out buying tanks makes more sense then renting for you, good chance you'll want more than one because it's pretty common to go out and do 2 dives. It's inconvienient to own one tank and having to go and rent another anyway.)

Where are you diving, what is the water temp? (I personally wouldn't be wearing a hood or gloves anyplace I could wear tropical booties and suit. Maybe a hoodie.)

Yeah, I thought the fins were pricey too but I figured it made up fot the wetsuit that I had planned to spend more on

I know some of the things dont have specifications but I mainly just wanted to show prices on the less important/cheap stuff, ie gloves, hood, weight belt (the bc I plan to get has a weight belt, but for Ow i need a weight belt), and weights.

I have specifics on the mask but I havnt had time to actually get to put in on here. I looked up the name, my cousin was rushing me to get out of there.

No I havn't bought anything yet, I wanted everyones opinions and I don't plan to buy anything except my mask, fins, booties, snorkel, weight belt, weights, and gloves (bcuz thats what I have to have for my ow course) and possibly my wetsuit.

I live in FL and mainly will be diving in and around St. Augustine beaches and in local springs that will be around 75.

I hope I answered all the questions and concerns.

Thank everyone for all your replies and I'll be sure to ask when I go in next time if I can get a deal.

I don't plan to actually buy yet, just shopping around looking at prices and models and such.

Tilos M580 Full Panoramic Mask, is the mask that I was referring to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom