Went to LDS today and picked out my gear-how did I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In general, I recommend renting EVERYTHING except mask, fins, snorkel, and wetsuit until you get certified. You won't know what kind of equipment you prefer until you've tried some.

Is your LDS requiring you to purchase your own weights for the class?? Even a weight belt for that matter. If that's the case, I might reconsider where you get your training. If you've never been in the water, you have no idea how much weight you need or the combination of the sizes of weights. You'll start out needing more weight than you'll need as you gain experience. Deal or not on the gear you have listed, nothing's worse than a newbie being forced to buy gear before training with the exception of the norm: mask fins snorkel booties.

Yeah, if you're going to buy a weight-integrated BC there's no sense in spending on a weight belt. At most get a $10 plain webbing belt and borrow weights for now.

Don't waste money on fins because you got a deal on a wetsuit. Take your savings where you can. Life does a good enough job all by itself evening things up without us purposely throwing away our savings. The key is that you don't even know if splits are for you. Buy or borrow a used pair for class. I know you're all excited about this new sport but slow down.

PepsiTwist:
~Deep See Polynesia Low Cut Booties
Echo the comment on the low-cuts. Will probably work fine, but you may end up adding a regular ('high top') set at some point.
PepsiTwist:
~Atomic Aquatic Split Fins
As several have mentioned there is divided opinion on splits. I don't use them but dive with some who do. The price seems just a wee bit up there, though.
PepsiTwist:
~Zeagle BC ... Weight Belt
So you bought a non-weight-integrated Zeagle. Interesting. Not a bad choice - Zeagle is good gear, but I am interested in which model you bought for that price.

I
~3mm Tilos Tiantium Suit (Full) Blue-------$89.95
~Deep See Polynesia Low Cut Booties-----$27.95
~Atomic Aquatic Split Fins----------------$180.00
~Tilos M580 Full Panoramic Mask----------$64.00
~Zeagle BC------------------------------$450.00
~Hood-----------------------------------$27.00
~Snorkel (cheap bcuz likely wont be used)-$12.95
~Gloves----------------------------------$22.95
~Weight Belt-----------------------------$22.00
~Weights (all that I will need)-------------$40.00
~Aladin Tec 3----------------------------$450.00
~Tank-----------------------------------$180.00
~Scuba Pro G250Hp----------------------$499.00

:D

The most important things right now is your mask, boots and fins. As long as they fit well, and are comfortable, they will serve you well. I love my Atomic split fins and most new divers also love them. Don't discount your snorkel too much. I have been diving for years and I still dive with mine. It is handy to have. However, many divers do not dive with a snorkel, but you will need it for your open water class.

As for everything else, talk with your instructor, and the LDS. You have no idea what kind of diving you will be doing and you may find in a few months, what you purchased isn't right for you. Once you get certified, you will understand what we are all taking about. I recommend that you purchase all your equipment at the same place, and you will get a better price when it is packaged for you.

Unless you really need it, wait to purchase your weight. Your weighting is going to change a lot in the first 10 dives, as you get used to buoyancy.

Buying gear is fun, and can be a little intimidating. However, having your own equipment is so much nicer than renting. Make sure you maintain it properly, and it will last you a long time. Good luck with your class and happy diving!

Did you get one tank or two? Based on the price, it looks like you either got one expensive tank or two at a discount, which I doubt since the other items don't seem to be discounted. You'll want to have two. If it's not too late, I would seriously consider taking the split fins back and trade them in on another tank and a set of paddle fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom