Went on my first fresh water dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bill harvey

Contributor
Reaction score
Well i learned alot. first i will not loose it in poor visability although the feeling of beeing that alone and not being able to see is very strange. we probably had 3 to 4 feet vis. it wasn't a silt problem the silt would settle right after it rose. a woman i was diving with decided it wasn't worth the nerve racking of being all alone so she just hung outon the surface. the three of us left under water ended up not being able to see eachother and just swam around alone. wel i must say my worst dive in the ocean still had better visability than my first fresh water dive.

Where were you?

I've been on several fresh water dives in NY where visibility was 50+ feet.

Skaneateles Lake - cleanest fresh water lake in the country
St. Lawrence Seaway - 50-60ft vis (at the bottom we could see our flag)

Try those sites...you might have a better impression.

I also have to say that the vis in my little reservoir is very good - on a sunny day, overcast days - well that is another issue.

where is this resevoir you are talking about? in CT? i would like to get some more dives in soon but it eats up so much time driving out to the coast.

some easy local stuff would be great... maybe we could do a skills dive like you were talking about before. i also want to try out some different rental gear so i can decide what to buy... i'd rather be diving in a calm quarry w/ first-time gear than the ocean.

chris

Lets Go!!!! I have been dying to get someone to go out in the lake with me! Some afternoon or something, and I'll even make you dinner!

I just did my OW in a lake and the visibility was around 3 to 4 feet. It sounds like you did not enjoy it. Me and the family enjoyed our dives a lot and will continue to go to the lake to dive. We are all ready to go back to the lake and go as certified divers. It was fun feeding the fish and just being in the water and swimming with the fish. Perhaps after going to clearer water I might not enjoy it as much but I will sill need to continue lake diving since I will probably only be able to make one trip a year to the clear blue water of the tropics. I want to keep my skill level up and continue to improve, so low visibility or good, I’m going diving and I know I will enjoy it.

wow, i am so there.

i haven't heard of this place, but as long as its not too far I could definitely do a dive after work. just need a few days notice so i can rent the gear. PM me if you want to plan something for next week.

chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom