'welts' after diving in freshwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stisso

Registered
Reaction score
After diving all weekend (fresh water, St. Lawrence River, Ontario, Canada), I noticed some red welt-like marks on my lower left leg, just above the ankle. I thought maybe they were from the rental boots that I wore (like maybe the zipper was irritating my skin), but they appear on the front of my leg, too (not just wear the zipper is). I have about a dozen marks, and they're either round, or more like a line (1-2 inches each). I don't have anything on the other leg.

They aren't itchy or sore (although the more I think about it, the more they start to seem itchy, but I think that's me). I didn't think anything of them, but they aren't going away, and I could be crazy, but it seems there may be more than earlier.

Advice?

Thanks very much!

stisso:
After diving all weekend (fresh water, St. Lawrence River, Ontario, Canada), I noticed some red welt-like marks on my lower left leg, just above the ankle. I thought maybe they were from the rental boots that I wore (like maybe the zipper was irritating my skin), but they appear on the front of my leg, too (not just wear the zipper is). I have about a dozen marks, and they're either round, or more like a line (1-2 inches each). I don't have anything on the other leg.

They aren't itchy or sore (although the more I think about it, the more they start to seem itchy, but I think that's me). I didn't think anything of them, but they aren't going away, and I could be crazy, but it seems there may be more than earlier.

Advice?

Thanks very much!

I had itchy red welts the 1st time I wore a 7 mil suit(borrowed) that was a bit too tight. Worst place was under the boobs where it was super-tight where the underwires were on my swimsuit. SO maybe the boots were too snug.

I also have had horribly itchy welts from a rental wetsuit when whitewater rafting. An allergy to the chemical they rinsed the suit in. Had to ditch it 1/2 way down the river. Pretty chilly when the water splashed, but better than digging at the itchiness.

I am really careful to rinse my suit carefully with clear water, and hopefully I can avoid using the chemicals altogether.

kristi hager:
I had itchy red welts the 1st time I wore a 7 mil suit(borrowed) that was a bit too tight. Worst place was under the boobs where it was super-tight where the underwires were on my swimsuit. SO maybe the boots were too snug.

I also have had horribly itchy welts from a rental wetsuit when whitewater rafting. An allergy to the chemical they rinsed the suit in. Had to ditch it 1/2 way down the river. Pretty chilly when the water splashed, but better than digging at the itchiness.

I am really careful to rinse my suit carefully with clear water, and hopefully I can avoid using the chemicals altogether.

Thanks for responding, Kristi...the only thing is that these aren't itchy. They're just there, and they're not going away...

As a long-time allergy sufferer, I've had welts that aren't itchy as an allergic reaction. I've also had them spread out a bit at times.

(for me it took years of shots -- you may have just been allergic to the compound used, as Kristi noted)

markfm:
As a long-time allergy sufferer, I've had welts that aren't itchy as an allergic reaction. I've also had them spread out a bit at times.

(for me it took years of shots -- you may have just been allergic to the compound used, as Kristi noted)

I asked the guys at the dive shop, and all they use on their rentals is fresh water. So I went and asked the owner, because he's this all-knowing guru, and as soon as he saw it, he said: 'poison ivy'.

Ha ha! I do believe he's right! I must have picked it up while scouting out our shore entry, or in between dives. Now, how to get rid of it before the weekend...

stisso:
I asked the guys at the dive shop, and all they use on their rentals is fresh water. So I went and asked the owner, because he's this all-knowing guru, and as soon as he saw it, he said: 'poison ivy'.

Ha ha! I do believe he's right! I must have picked it up while scouting out our shore entry, or in between dives. Now, how to get rid of it before the weekend...

hehehehe... Good to hear you have a 'diagnosis'. & that you can laugh about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom