Welcome to the Dork Diver Forum!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I look at the forums all the time, but have never been comfortable posting because I was afraid people would think I was a dork......

Most of us post here so that people WILL think we are dorks! :lotsalove:

Welcome!

Most of us post here so that people WILL think we are dorks! :lotsalove:

Welcome!

Yep, exactly right.

Dork Diving is a specialty that sadly only a few select divers stride to achieve. You will know you are ready when you stop worrying about what others may think of you. You dive purely for the joy you experience seconds after the giant stride. You yearn for that sense of wonderment you feel when you see the magnificence just waiting for you below the surface. The trill of your first rare species sighting never wanes and when you finally realize that little mask leak is a result of the constant simile on your face.

You will know you are ready when you stop worrying about what others may think of you. You dive purely for the joy you experience seconds after the giant stride. You yearn for that sense of wonderment you feel when you see the magnificence just waiting for you below the surface. The thrill of your first rare species sighting never wanes and when you finally realize that little mask leak is a result of the constant simile on your face.
Well said. :biggrin:

At this year's ItK, I was diving on the Benwood during the last dive of the eleven I and my buddy had scheduled. I found *oodles* of cleaning stations on the wreck, and even found some treasure (an actual coin from a real shipwreck!... of course, it was a 1991 US nickel, but hey, it still counts!).

Anyway, we were starting to get close to the one-hour dive limit, and we were just puttering around. All of the sudden, it just hit me. "I'm underwater... and breathing... and I haven't even thought about that! I'm down here... and I've seen sharks and groupers and eels and cleaner shrimp and all these other things that the vast majority of people I know... of people in the world, even... will *never* see in person... and I'm thinking nothing of it!?! THIS IS *SO* ***COOL***!!!"

Never let the perceived normality of your diving obscure the fact that you are participating in one of the most amazing pastimes in the entire history of the world. :biggrin:

Hey gang...

Well... I've been away for a while... actually doing that *diving stuff* and working on a DM cert... which isn't done yet... but I *have* gotten through the written tests...

... anyway... I realized I missed this list... I need a little less serious... or more seriously non-serious in my universe...

... so, anybody ever made those "nitrox clean" stickers for the snorkels yet?

Hey gang...

Well... I've been away for a while... actually doing that *diving stuff* and working on a DM cert... which isn't done yet... but I *have* gotten through the written tests...

... anyway... I realized I missed this list... I need a little less serious... or more seriously non-serious in my universe...

... so, anybody ever made those "nitrox clean" stickers for the snorkels yet?

Paging Clayjar...........paging Mr. Clayjar.........if anyone could do that, he could.

Congrats on the DM course. I start mine in a few weeks. Think they'll let me wear my orange shovel while helping in the pool sessions? :rofl3:

Thanks merxlin... good luck on YOUR DM... it's good stuff... (... and ya' get to wear this spiffy "Divemaster" stuff when yer' done...)... which brings up a good question...

Can Divemasters be dorks?? Hummm... didn't find THAT one in the manual... Is there a Dork Divemaster Cert? Is there a patch for it?? Sheesh... I need to find a "divemaster" sticker for my snorkel... that would be COOL...

Great day diving the local quarry today we had almost 4 FEET of vis on the first dive... (nearly Caribbean temps on the surface [80]... Great Lakes temps at 50 feet... [54])... ya' just gotta' love it...

merxlin asked, "I start mine in a few weeks. Think they'll let me wear my orange shovel while helping in the pool sessions?"

Well... if it was me... I would.. ;-) Tell em' its a custom safety sausage holder...

Dork Diving and Divemastering are completely separate. You can be one, the other, both, or neither. There is not Dork Diving Divemaster certification, as we recognize the ability of *all* Dork Divers to show others the way to have fun with their diving. :D

(Of course, Divemasters can *certainly* be Dork Divers. I happen to be a (NAUI) Divemaster and Dork Diver, for one. :biggrin: I'm currently leading a trip to Bonaire, and during this surface interval, I'm posting here. Doesn't get much more than that, eh? :D)

.........Of course, Divemasters can *certainly* be Dork Divers. I happen to be a (NAUI) Divemaster and Dork Diver, for one. :biggrin: I'm currently leading a trip to Bonaire, and during this surface interval, I'm posting here. Doesn't get much more than that, eh? :D)

Yeah, that's what I'd be doing on Bonaire, sitting back, laptop in hand (unless you brought your desktop and monitor :rofl3:), looking at the DD forum on SB.:shakehead: ........... Tell me you are at least swingin in a hammock on the beach while you're doing it!

How's the diving? Seen anything cool?

Back
Top Bottom