Welcome!! Any Suggestions!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MP928

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First off, Just want to say Hi to all and introduce myself to the boards.

I'm 25 yrs old, just received my PADI OW cert about 2 weeks ago, and I'm going to finish my Advanced OW this weekend. I'm pretty excited to get back in the water and do some diving!!! I live on Long Island, and am anxiously awaiting my first trip to Hawaii in September of this year.

I am staying in Lahaina, and unfortunately only get to stay a week. I am going to do some shore diving in West Maui, do the Maui Ocean Center Shark Dive, and have one more day set aside for diving. I was originally going to dive Molokini, but now find it hard to decide between that and a trip to Lanai with Extended Horizons.

Considering my dive experience, (I will have about 15 dives by the time I do the dive), I was wondering if I could get some opinions on what dive I should choose over the other. Lanai or Molokini

I know I can't go wrong with either, but would love some feedback from anyone who has experienced those dives.

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS! I am very happy to be apart of these boards and to finally be a certified SCUBA diver!!!:

-MP

Tough call.

Molokini was one of the better dives I did as far as sheer numbers of fish. Partly because a lot of the snorkel operators feed them. So you get swarmed sometimes. In two dives we got pretty close to a resting white tip reef shark and found a scorpionfish hiding in the staghorn coral. Just a really pleasant experience.

The Cathedrals at Lanai otoh are almost like a religious experience. Shafts of light stream down from the surface so it's a really interesting dive. But not a lot of fish, especially once you're in the Cathedral, there were some squirrelfish hiding in the shadows but I don't remember much else. It can be a little choppy there, several divers on our boat fed the fish that morning.

Other dives off Lanai are just as good as Molokini. We did Sharkfin, one group went with the DM to look for octopus in the shore wall while my buddy and I went deep and found fields of butterflyfish and Moorish Idols. But that wouldn't be a dive to do at 15 dives, we fought the current all the way around the pinnacle coming back - including having to crawl into a lava tube at one point. I've seen turtles off Lanai, never at Molokini, but I know people who have.

If you go to Molokini from the Lahaina area, it's a long boat ride. Lahaina Divers has the bigger boats in that area for a smoother crossing when the tradewinds pickup early afternoon.

Don't forget to tell your buddies that you dove with Tiger Sharks on Hawaii. (they don't have to know they were in the tank..lol)

If it were me, I'd definitely plan on Black Rock as one of my W. Maui dive sites. I'd also choose Lanai over Molokini based on the dives you already have planned. Lanai will give you a completely different type of dive than the ones you have planned.

I was there for the kids soccer tournament, but we did get out to Black Rock as suggested above in Kaanapali...

I really wanted to Scuba/Snorkel there but had very little time...even without any gear, I could see a lot of fish and turtles right around that area...even saw a few people getting certified.

The water was ultra clear...~75' visibility or more...beautiful!

Thank you all so much for your input. I think I have finally made up my mind and decided to do the day of dives with Extended Horizons to Lanai. The pictures and videos that I have seen from the Cathedrals look absolutely amazing.
My West Maui dive sites will include Honolua Bay and Black Rock, so I should be able to see a good number of fish. I agree that the Lanai dive will complement my week in Maui!

Don't forget to tell your buddies that you dove with Tiger Sharks on Hawaii. (they don't have to know they were in the tank..lol)

I'm going to have the pictures to prove it! My friends would never believe me otherwise!

Can't wait to go, but I will definitely report back after my trip with some details and picts!

Thanks again
MP

Back
Top Bottom