Weird Narcosis Experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there any run of the mill psychoactive substances that could feed into hallucinatory onset while entering the narcosis zone? She doesn't mention if she had any history of LSD use, or attendance at raves.

It's pretty common and generally easy to treat (my mom had it). @IncreaseMyT posted a link a few pages back that actually mentions the treatment for the loose crystals version.

Yes, there are exercises and medicine to help the condition. In fact now when I feel nausea coming on I pop my ears and shake my head, works every time for me.

Are there any run of the mill psychoactive substances that could feed into hallucinatory onset while entering the narcosis zone? She doesn't mention if she had any history of LSD use, or attendance at raves.
I've read a lot of the scientific literature about LSD, and I don't recall anything about intoxication triggering acid flashbacks, so I'd discount that particular possibility.

300 dives and the first one to 75’ to experience narcosis, does this sound weird to anyone else?

Unless you are actually looking for it, most first timers wont even notice they are narked. Even deeper, it’s touch and go whether one will recognise narcosis unless they have learned to detect its effects on them.

A CO2 hit is not narcosis, by itself it is a real pita, when combined with narcosis it’s an asskicker.

The symptoms the diver described do not seem to me to be either. I would go along with the vertigo theory, as I have heard some bizarre symptoms from two friends that have suffered. Spinning is something that we all have experienced, but sometimes the brain processes the information differently.

Perhaps @Duke Dive Medicine would drop by and give an informed opinion.

Bob
I know this is an old post but I wanted to chime in my personal experience being narced with less than 60 dives OW on air. The dive OP combined advanced divers and Ow divers (me) on this dive. The reef was 95ft at most points and they told us (OW) to hang above it. Well, I was following the lead with the flags we saw a reef shark (first time for me) and I forgot about going low to the reef. I was doing as I always do, that is getting low to the reef to look into crevices and my computer started beeping. I distinctly recall hearing it but I casually explained it away I happily proceeded to explore and after a bit of time I saw my dive buddy vertical in the water about 25ft above me and I swam up to him and grabbed him and yanked him down laughing and bubbling like crazy. I was wanting him to play with me which is so not normal for my behavior under the water. I was absolutely oblivious to any protocols and, were it not for my very low sac rate (105 lbs) I probably would have went OOA. He thumbed the dive and as we ascended I began to become coherent and checked my dive watch to find a mandatory deco of 15 minutes (if I recall correctly). When I got back on the boat we concluded I was narced.

I still recall, in my memory, what that was like to see and hear alarms but being more irritated about the intrusion rather than being concerned about my situation. The laughing and bubbling, tugging my buddy, it was all very eerie when I reflect back on it. I honestly believe I would have happily hung around the reef until I had no more breaths and, in that state, probably would not have even understood the issue

No hallucinations or colors, just no concerns AT ALL for any protocols and the laughing (you could hear it) with all the bubbles. Almost like I didn’t even think about the fact I was scuba diving. (It is hard to explain)

So, as a new diver I can certainly recognize I was narced. Just to share!

So, as a new diver I can certainly recognize I was narced. Just to share!

You recognized it after the fact, not while you were experiencing it. The trick is to realize that you are narked, and how narked you are, in order to determine and carry out the proper course of action, while you are narked.

You recognized it after the fact, not while you were experiencing it. The trick is to realize that you are narked, and how narked you are, in order to determine and carry out the proper course of action, while you are narked.
Very true.

I guess having done a whole bunch of hallucinogens and smoking pot over the years have made me acutely aware of when I am altered. To be honest, I get a kick out of being narced but I prefer to avoid it and when it does happen I ascend to rational thinking depth.

I guess having done a whole bunch of hallucinogens and smoking pot over the years have made me acutely aware of when I am altered. To be honest, I get a kick out of being narced but I prefer to avoid it and when it does happen I ascend to rational thinking depth.
I totally agree - experience in altered states of consciousness makes it easier for us to function in a novel altered state. Maybe practice makes perfect? I noticed on my first deep dive that I wasn't in a 100% sober frame of mind at depth (probably light narcosis), but having stumbled my way through similar situations on land made it easier to recognize and manage the situation under water.

At about 90 feet with 50F temp there abouts, once I felt a bit strange. I felt cold and not giggly. I was more often that usual looking at my gauges over and over. I'd actually thought because I felt strange I ought to look at my gauges, especially air pressure.

I've been warned about vertigo. I only recently have had it. Not very often and never while diving. It is usually waking up in the morning that if it happens, thats where. I learned the movement of head to counteract the vertigo. Underwater, those movements to do would be difficult I'd expect and may not work. If as I hear someone say you may not know which way is up or down. The bubbles I said would be going up. Still firm on how serious vertigo is, I was told it how bad it can be by him. I guess I'll be cautious if it were happening like it had been once and try to learn more about it. The New Science of Skin & Scuba Diving book showed drawing of diver handing 2nd stage mouth piece to a fish as a Narked Example. I just feel good after diving, nothing as such have I ever done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom