Weird M28 Software Issues . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigbella

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am not sure what the deal is, with Poseidon and its Firmware Updates . . .

Both Macs and Windows machines refused to open one or the other files, stating that there were security issues with both. I never had this issue with earlier updates or other manufacturers and their software; and it's not like we're dealing with dark web sites in Nigeria or Belarus. They're Swedes, dammit! Swedes!

I watched this interminable video on Facebook (of which I not a member, and didn't find easy access), whose narrator spoke with the speed of an advancing glacier, effortlessly update the software, on a Macbook. For some reason, I couldn't duplicate the steps on the same machine; and I finally had to do the update over two computers, arse backwards, and hit the panic button. "Force Firmware" has got to be one of my least favorite phrases.

It must be a common enough issue, since there are articles available, for workarounds, such as: M28 failed during upgrade in RBconfig. The best solution that I have found, is posted at Dive Gear Express. Nonetheless, it's a Byzantine process, with lots language, in this vein:

"Two words of advice if you find yourself now reading or re-reading these instructions because you are in the middle of an M28 update that seems to be going wrong: "Remain Calm." If you clicked on "Reboot to update" in the management web page and the M28 has a blinking light and blank screen, then see the FIRST section item labeled "Reboot to update". If the Firmware Update menu option on the M28 has a lock icon and can not be selected, check the battery charge is full. If your M28 is displaying an error message related to the PMIC, those errors may be ignored until the THIRD section. If your M28 appears to be unresponsive with nothing but a solid red light and blank screen then see the THIRD section item labeled "BRICKED". Don't worry, if you follow these instructions then you will be successful." Updating Your Poseidon M28/Se7en/CPOD Firmware | Dive Gear Express®

Yikes!

It was a colossal pain, and took over an hour to finally fix -- and to remove more error messages than I knew existed on that thing (never really cared for lightning bolts for symbols) . . .

Thanks for the candid feedback. The Poseidon post you quote (from August 2018!) and the several pages long DGE post (which says to expect a one to two hours upgrade process!) read quite differently than the ads I remembered from the heyday of the 6's introduction.
Being a year and a half old "feature", I guess Poseidon has given up on streamlining the upgrade process?
Be safe!
And maybe consider a manual or hybrid unit as your next unit...:)

Yeah, the M28 has worked well in the past -- even as simply as a standalone OC computer; but I'll think twice about another update without some good consumer DGX -- vetting. The "always update the firmware" mantra will fall on deaf ears for a while . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom