Weird error with Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a depth sensor failure.
That sucks mate, at least you know what it is now. I've often wondered what us Aussies would have to do if we had a problem with our SWs, I had hoped there was someone here that could fix it. Good luck getting it back fast!

Andrew, Shearwater service centre for our area is in NZ, has always been there. Usually pretty quick at fixing them. Only problem, especially now, is postal delays due to lack of planes.

That err with weird temperature is not uncommon. The same thing has happened to my Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC. The depth sensor also records the temperature, hence both failing at once.

I literally had the same thing happen to my Peregrine. Had to mail it in last week. But the customer service from shearwater was amazing. They even offered a loaner computer if needed.

According to AustPost it was cleared for departure at 4am today so hopefully it will reach the service centre sometime on Monday.

Lucky I have a couple of backup computers: Garmin Descent Mk1 (with the same GF as the Perdix but no AI) plus an older Oceanic VT 4.0 (which I bought cheaply on eBay to get the transmitter).

Well... talking about cutting it fine. According to the tracking it was only delivered at 12:14pm on 6 November. Three hours later I received a notification from DHL that I have a package coming!

The package arrived yesterday and it was a new (or reconditioned) Perdix AI. It was certainly not the one I sent. It actually looks new but I don't know how to tell. I didn't receive any communications from the service centre, other than the original delivery instructions.

The only cost to me was to ship it to NZ.

I'm happy with the outcome although I will say that I expected not to have to pay to get it repaired. I figured it was either a faulty sensor or the quality of the sensors is not great. Yes, it was 4 years old and I'd done around 500 dives with it but a $1300 dive computer should be able to last longer than that.

Well... talking about cutting it fine. According to the tracking it was only delivered at 12:14pm on 6 November. Three hours later I received a notification from DHL that I have a package coming!

The package arrived yesterday and it was a new (or reconditioned) Perdix AI. It was certainly not the one I sent. It actually looks new but I don't know how to tell. I didn't receive any communications from the service centre, other than the original delivery instructions.

The only cost to me was to ship it to NZ.

I'm happy with the outcome although I will say that I expected not to have to pay to get it repaired. I figured it was either a faulty sensor or the quality of the sensors is not great. Yes, it was 4 years old and I'd done around 500 dives with it but a $1300 dive computer should be able to last longer than that.
They have a two year warranty. I agree they should last longer, but sometimes stuff happens. I have had four depth sensors fail on shearwaters over the years. Only one was under warranty. Just be glad it didn't flood the computer and take out the buttons. They are expensive to replace on a petrel.

They have a two year warranty. I agree they should last longer, but sometimes stuff happens. I have had four depth sensors fail on shearwaters over the years. Only one was under warranty. Just be glad it didn't flood the computer and take out the buttons. They are expensive to replace on a petrel.
I actually think they have a one year warranty but that was extended to two when Covid hit. Seeing as I bought mine more than 2 years before Covid, it was well out of warranty.

That said, here in Australia warranties are pretty much meaningless other than making it easier to make a claim with a manufacturer/distributor. Our consumer laws mean a product has to be "fit for purpose" so even if it only has a one year warranty, if it is deemed it should last more than one year, you can still make a claim, although it might mean a bigger fight.

As this was repaired/replaced in NZ, I don't know if Australian Consumer Law is taken into consideration or it was just simpler and quicker to replace.

Also, since they replaced the computer, flooding wouldn't have made much different, unless the flooding was deemed to be user error.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom