Weird dizziness- recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK - I do not disagree with the diagnosis of alternobaric vertigo caused by the congestion as being very likely but I also think it is worth considering one other possibility as well that could cause vertigo and motion sickness. The OP says there was a heavy sea swell and surf, the dive was within 50 metres of shore and less than 10 metres.

I often find that if the dive is shallow with a lot of water movement both underwater and at the surface I suffer from motion sickness. I do a lot of night time shore dives and I know if I have done a long shallow dive where there has been a lot of swell, I have had the feeling of still moving for some hours after the dives, and it sometimes makes me feel sick.

Does the OP get same symptons on a deeper dive or when there is no surf to contend with? - P
I tried to ask about that...
Does no one else think that he might have just gotten seasick on surfacing...?

I don't get seasick, so I don't know if it can continue that long after climbing out...?

Still, getting & keeping the sinuses & ear tubes clear will help - either way.

Open question to all: if the vertigo is caused by a reverse block or pressure imbalance between the ears during ascent, will descending a little help relieve the problem? I experienced the same today and felt as if I'm turning round in circles although I was stationary. What I did is take deep relaxed breaths and wait till the "dizziness" was gone.
If you have imbalanced pressure on your ears leading to vertigo, I think that descending will just increase pressure - but still imbalanced. You could try it and see.

The best approach for either, motion sickness or imbalanced block, is to open up the sinuses and ear tubes well, equalize early & often thru the dive, and try to prevent the problems. May still happen, but take as much preventative action as possible.

I tried to ask about that...

If you have imbalanced pressure on your ears leading to vertigo, I think that descending will just increase pressure - but still imbalanced. You could try it and see.

The best approach for either, motion sickness or imbalanced block, is to open up the sinuses and ear tubes well, equalize early & often thru the dive, and try to prevent the problems. May still happen, but take as much preventative action as possible.

You are incorrect. The immediate response to this is to descend as fast as possible. Assuming that the other ear is clear. Descending super fast will minimize the damage to the ear and will quickly reduce the symptoms and will often allow the person to avoid vomiting. Stopping an ascent, and hanging around and trying to relax is NOT the best response. You goal is to get the internal and external pressure in both ears equal to external pressure ASAP, the fastest way to do that is to decend.

Early on in my diving I did a shore dive with a gal and she was very new to diving as well. We did a shore
dive in conditions I would not even consider now and we ended up much farther out than we expected. The
conditions below were low viz and surge. We did not know if we would even make it back we were feeling so
poorly. This was a combination of sea sickness and over exertion with the bad conditions and both of us still
very new divers. We can look back now and laugh but it was probably one of most miserable and dangerous dives
I have ever made. Obviously if you think there might be a medical explanation a check up would be in order but
don't underestimate how over exertion and rough seas can effect your well being. I know a cold and not being able to
clear can create problems but you may have had a few factors contributing to your feeling poorly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom