Weird dizziness- recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freeze43

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,
I'm a very new diver and have only done a couple of dives since getting my license with my buddy. I've been having some strange dizzy spells that I'd like to explain and I was hoping if anyone had some potential fixes.

The last couple of times (but not before) we've gone out not very far, perhaps fifty metres and at 10m max depth and then surfaced slowly to discuss where we intend to go next. Both times upon getting to the surface (which has been in quite strong surf) I've become very, very dizzy, somewhat disorientated and because of the dizzy, "unsettled" feeling also very sick and close to vomiting. Both times we went underneath again in order to return to the beach, and once we got there it has taken a good 45 minutes to recover- last time I was prostrate on a rock for about thirty minutes before I could move again. Once it passes I'm totally fine.

Any ideas on what could be doing this, or what I could do/take to ameliorate the symptoms? The only thing I can think of is that I've had a very mild cold for a month now, which has me coughing up a small amount of phlegm in the morning as well as having one nostril half blocked- but surely something that weak can't do anything?

You most likely have a reverse block in one ear. Your ears are equalizing on the way down, but then ONE ear does not let the pressure out when you ascend. This imbalance between ears, can totally screw up your equalibrium. Did you feell any ear pressure or discomfort or trouble with equalizing?

A simple thing to try is to use a menthol cough drop for 30 minutes before diving, this may help. There are also drugs you can try, but I won't recommend any.

I agree with Dumpster Diver's diagnosis, one of your ears is not equalizing properly on ascent. That is often a consequence of aggressive clearing on descent, and decongestant use might also be a factor.

My guess is it has something to do with having a cold for so long. I get a bad cold about once every 8 months, I get a "post nasal drip", and basically must forgoe diving for 2-4 weeks until everything's clear. Ironically, when healthy there's probably no one who can equalize easier than me. I have experienced the dizzyness as well, but always while ascending-- once on the surface it's always gone. I've been told this also is caused by one ear equalizing and the other not. With the length of time you are suffering topside, it may be best to consult a doctor versed in dive related problems.

someone in my last dive group had the same issue. we decided on the same diagnosis for him as well. if you have some congestion from your cold that could easily contribute to a reverse block. i have congestion issues as well. an hour before i dive, i take a 12hour zertec. a lot of people dont recommend taking decongestants that might wear off while you are mid dive, but i easily get 10+ hours of relief. maybe its that easy for you as well.

someone in my last dive group had the same issue. we decided on the same diagnosis for him as well. if you have some congestion from your cold that could easily contribute to a reverse block. i have congestion issues as well. an hour before i dive, i take a 12hour zertec. a lot of people dont recommend taking decongestants that might wear off while you are mid dive, but i easily get 10+ hours of relief. maybe its that easy for you as well.

Zyrtec is not a decongestant. It is an antihistamine. If you use a Zyrtec D it has a decongestant added (Pseudoephedrine), that is what most are concerned with. I know people that use it without problems, I don't use it myself. Usually when I go on a dive trip the humidity is great for my sinuses and my allergies seem to disappear.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Yes I do remember some ear pain as well as difficulty equalizing when I was descending. This may be the reason. Will a slow ascent and decongestants do the trick?

As the others have suggested, it sounds like alternobaric vertigo. see for example: Vertigo
Equalizing during ascent can help. Passive techniques such as swallowing or jaw wiggling are preferable (you're relieving pressure, not increasing it).

Thanks for all your suggestions. Yes I do remember some ear pain as well as difficulty equalizing when I was descending. This may be the reason. Will a slow ascent and decongestants do the trick?
I think a slow descent with gentle, regular clearing is just as important as a slow ascent. Decongestants might help, but they can also contribute to the problem with prolonged use.

I think a slow descent with gentle, regular clearing is just as important as a slow ascent. Decongestants might help, but they can also contribute to the problem with prolonged use.
How can prolonged use of decongestants contribute?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom