Weighting with Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFeenD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I am looking for some opinions on weighting with use of a dry suit. I am currently wearing about 26lbs of weight, which is optimal for the big blue. I have around 10lbs on my belt, and 16 distributed on my rig (either in backplate weight or in camband weight pouches). Does anyone else run this way. Does it seem like 10lbs on weight belt is overkill, and does anyone have other suggestions to optimize my weight distribution?

Also, how do people view the idea of a weight belt under or over the rig. In other words, should it be easier to ditch or doesn't it matter? I have always been of the mindset that I will not want to easily ditch my weight due to it offsetting the buoyancy of my drysuit, but I have been thinking a lot about the possibility of a flood and needing to gain whatever positive buoyancy I can at that time.

Just curious.
-ddd

I wear my belt under the rig. After watching some friends lose weight belts that fell off and went into the muck, I added shoulder straps to mine so it isn't going to fall off with $100 of lead on it. This means it really isn't ditchable unless I open the pockets and take the weights out one by one. I'm OK with this, though, because if I am in an emergency and need to ditch, I'll just cut it off.

I also think I would be much more likely to want to drop a few weights than the whole belt. I would imagine a rocket ride to the surface would happen right after you let go of 10-30 pounds of lead.

In coldish waters (48-55 degrees) here on the left coast, 26lb is smack in the average weighting category for thick (400g equivalent) undergarments. I personally use exactly 10lb on a weight belt as well.

The proper weight distribution is the one that doesn't hinder you from achieving the trim you desire, while giving you sufficient ditchable weight to comfortably stay afloat at your most negative (at the beginning of the dive) in the event of a complete wing or drysuit failure. Most single tank rigs I've dived are foot-heavy, so having more weight up top (backplate, cam weights) is usually preferred. If you're diving a tank like an AL80/LP85/HP100, the fact that you're using a backplate and cam weights, along with a 10lb weight belt, sounds like it's probably pretty well distributed to me (your gas weights 6-8lb, so assuming you're properly weighted, ditching the belt should eliminate any net negative buoyancy you have at the surface).

Contrary to what most newer divers believe, needing to ditch weights at depth is VERY rare, and often has more dangerous consequences than not ditching it (or losing it accidentally). Properly weighted in a drysuit, you should be at most negative by the weight of your gas, which you should be able to swim up from depth. Because of this, many drysuit divers, knowing their drysuit acts as redundant buoyancy to their wing, will wear the weight belt under the harness, in order to prevent the belt from being accidentally released, which is generally the greater danger.

As to the concern about a drysuit flood, again with a typical trilam drysuit you'll at most be negative by the weight of your gas at the beginning of the dive (6-8lb), meaning the vast majority of your wing's lift will be available to you in reserve in case of a drysuit failure.

SI am currently wearing about 26lbs of weight, which is optimal for the big blue.

26lbs seems an awful lot to me - admittedly, you haven't posted any details on the type of suit, type of tank, your body type etc.

I use a total 7kgs (14lbs) in sea water, using a steel 95 cu ft tank and a membrane drysuit with three layers of fleece undergarments. I'm 6'0" and weigh 100kg (220 llbs) and am definitely slightly on the chubby side....

Gut feel, unless you are wearing a 7mm uncompressed neoprene drysuit with a Weezel extreme undergarment and an aluminium tank..... you can probably shave a few pounds of weight off what you are currently using.

I have around 10lbs on my belt, and 16 distributed on my rig (either in backplate weight or in camband weight pouches). Does anyone else run this way. Does it seem like 10lbs on weight belt is overkill, and does anyone have other suggestions to optimize my weight distribution?

First suggestion is to confirm the amount of weight you really need. Best way is to do a buoyancy check at the end of a dive with a near empty tank.

Also, how do people view the idea of a weight belt under or over the rig. In other words, should it be easier to ditch or doesn't it matter? I have always been of the mindset that I will not want to easily ditch my weight due to it offsetting the buoyancy of my drysuit, but I have been thinking a lot about the possibility of a flood and needing to gain whatever positive buoyancy I can at that time.

When are you really ever going to ditch the weight? With a drysuit, you have redundant buoyancy anyway - so to my mind, there's no reason to ever ditch weight underwater - particularly if you have a balanced rig, which would allow you to swim up from depth. So I wear my weightbelt under my harness when in a drysuit.

But in a wetsuit I would wear it over.

In coldish waters (48-55 degrees) here on the left coast, 26lb is smack in the average weighting category for thick (400g equivalent) undergarments. I personally use exactly 10lb on a weight belt as well.

The proper weight distribution is the one that doesn't hinder you from achieving the trim you desire, while giving you sufficient ditchable weight to comfortably stay afloat at your most negative (at the beginning of the dive) in the event of a complete wing or drysuit failure. Most single tank rigs I've dived are foot-heavy, so having more weight up top (backplate, cam weights) is usually preferred. If you're diving a tank like an AL80/LP85/HP100, the fact that you're using a backplate and cam weights, along with a 10lb weight belt, sounds like it's probably pretty well distributed to me (your gas weights 6-8lb, so assuming you're properly weighted, ditching the belt should eliminate any net negative buoyancy you have at the surface).

Contrary to what most newer divers believe, needing to ditch weights at depth is VERY rare, and often has more dangerous consequences than not ditching it (or losing it accidentally). Properly weighted in a drysuit, you should be at most negative by the weight of your gas, which you should be able to swim up from depth. Because of this, many drysuit divers, knowing their drysuit acts as redundant buoyancy to their wing, will wear the weight belt under the harness, in order to prevent the belt from being accidentally released, which is generally the greater danger.

As to the concern about a drysuit flood, again with a typical trilam drysuit you'll at most be negative by the weight of your gas at the beginning of the dive (6-8lb), meaning the vast majority of your wing's lift will be available to you in reserve in case of a drysuit failure.

My trim and buoyancy are spot on right now. I have great control in the water and never feel heavy or light. I was diving Al 80s for a bit, but I hate the buoyancy switch, and I have been using HP100s lately--and I LOVE them.

I personally dont plan on EVER ditching my weight unless I am at the surface and for some reason I need an extra bit of lift. I am aware, however, that there are some people that worry about being able to ditch and I was just curious how people handled it. FYI i currently leave my belt under my rig.

First suggestion is to confirm the amount of weight you really need. Best way is to do a buoyancy check at the end of a dive with a near empty tank.

Done. 26lbs is def where I should be with a dry suit and undergarments for about 55F water.

And yea, wetsuit is a totally different story.

After watching some friends lose weight belts that fell off and went into the muck...
I'd be willing to bet that those friends who lost their weight belts unintentionally had loaded them with way more than 10 lbs. 6-10 lbs. on a weight belt should be very easily secured even with one of those cheapo weight belts.

Some divers have had very good experiences with a rubber weight belt and SS buckle. The rubber provides friction which helps hold the weights in place on the hips.
I also think I would be much more likely to want to drop a few weights than the whole belt. I would imagine a rocket ride to the surface would happen right after you let go of 10-30 pounds of lead.
This is the reasoning behind not loading too much weight on a weight belt. As Gombessa pointed out, at the beginning of the dive you'll be negatively buoyant by the weight of your gas (approx. 7.5 lbs. for a HP100). That's why having 6-10 lb. of lead on a weight belt can make a lot of sense. Theoretically, you should be able to ditch it at the beginning of the dive and still be relatively neutral. Don't forget that you can easily change the amount of air in your lungs to help compensate for being a couple of lbs. positively buoyant.

I think your weight distribution makes a lot of sense. So long as you are appropriately weighted and the configuration trims out properly, go dive it and have fun.

As for wearing the weight belt over or under the crotch strap, I think either is OK so long as you are aware of the risks of both configurations. Make sure that your buddy and the boat crew are aware of your gear configuration as well.

I Dive dry. and use a total of 16lbs. of weight also dive with a Worthington HP100 X-7. I have the Halcyon Eclipse with SS backplate = 6lbs, STA=6lbs. The I have two Trim weight Pouches which I usually put 2lb on each side. I wear an under layer and then have my Fourth Element "Arctic" on top. and I am properlly weighted.

Done. 26lbs is def where I should be with a dry suit and undergarments for about 55F water.

Then I shall just feel blessed with my weight requirement!! :D

If I had to distribute 26lbs, I'd probably have a SS plate (6lb) with a weighted STA (6lb) and cam band pockets (6lb), with the remainder in a weightbelt.

I just don't really like weights in a belt... I much prefer the weight over the top of my lungs rather than on my hips. Weight belt under the harness - not a worry to me.

It's not that I won't give up, but did you re-check when you shifted from AL80s to steel 100s? :wink:

With a 6 pound steel backplate and double 80CF aluminum tanks, 150 gram underware and a Bare Nexgen bilam suit I use about 12-14 pounds. With the same BP/W and tanle setup, 200 gram polartecs and a Ts250 I need 22 pounds.

I use a DUI harness, can ditch either side easily if needed.

Back
Top Bottom