Weighting housing for big dome port?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
One of the issues I'm encountering with my Fisheye dome on the MDX-D300 is that the whole rig seems about 2 lbs. buoyant with the dome, extension and 10-17 on it. The housing wants to turn its port upward unless I hold on firmly, and it's also playing heck with my trim and buoyancy. It's tough enough diving with a big lump like that without it screwing up your safety stops with funky balance, too.
Does anyone weight their dome? I was thinking of seeing if a tank weight or ankle weight might go around the extension to get the thing neutral.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of tape-a-weights. They'd probably work fine, though in my experience, the double stick backing can waterlog and fall off eventually. I might try them.

Larry_C,
you may get:
1. a thin sheet of lead (plumbers use them) and bend it around the "Neck" of the port.
2. stick-on balancing weights for rims

to keep them where they belong you can use self amalgamating tape, auto vulkanizing tape, rescue tape or what's called. once vulcanized, it won't open anymore also under water.

Chris

to keep them where they belong you can use self amalgamating tape, auto vulkanizing tape, rescue tape or what's called. once vulcanized, it won't open anymore also under water.
Chris
Thanks, Chris. Someone else recently recommended the same stuff for securing the safe second to a BCD fill hose after zip-tie installation. I might have to head for the hardware store and get a roll.

Buy Ikelite strobes ;-)
:rofl3: Chuck T. likes SB-103's. They look hefty enough to do the job!

i had the same problem with some of my plexi housings,,,so i put regular diver lead on them and that helped,,, just screwed them on the bottom,,, it didn't look pro but it worked,,,,

captbill

Chuck T. likes SB-103's. They look hefty enough to do the job!

No, Chuck T likes SB-104s. SB-103s are long gone, recalled and replaced with SB-105s
which are less wimpy than SB-103s, but way short of SB-104s.

And the SB-104 is positive in salt water.

My old Aqautica dome port came with a weight that bolted onto the bottom of the housing to counter the buoancy problem.

Back
Top Bottom