Weighting an STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thread needs more balance...
How about ditching the STA and adding weight elsewhere? No lead in your blood stream and all...:cool:
Post assumes you are using DR style plate.
I was told I was going to need a STA when I started using singles on my plate [used it for doubles exclusively], but tried it anyway and haven't looked back since.

I guess that would depend on where "elsewhere" is. The STA is a great spot to put it, though, as it's out of the way while still keeping me fairly balanced and trim. I don't think I'd want to dump the STA if for no other reason than it adds another 2lbs or so that I don't have to manage. I never really thought about it, though.

I'm not trying to drop weight, I'm just trying to move it around a little. :)

I have a "back pad" that came with a BC that I plan to remove the stuffing from and replace it with lead. It will hold three belt weights. I have cast three weights totaling about five pounds. It simply Velcros onto my backpack (two straps at the top and a five sq/in patch at the bottom) and will place the weight at my upper back between my shoulder blades. I believe (have not completely verified it yet) that this will improve my trim. I stuck a five pound weight in that particular position to try it out (in a swimming pool) and it seems good. I'll still have about 12 pounds of ditch-able weight. I am suggesting this as a possible option to what may be a more complicated approach :) I also like this because I can easily remove it from my back wing and place it in another piece of luggage, if needed.

Back
Top Bottom