Weightbelt on Vacation

Do you bring your weights on a fly-away vacation?

• Yes

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 95 77.9%
  • I have integrated weights

Votes: 27 22.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry a couple 1 lbers with are not usually available for fine adjustments.

We have integrated systems, so we usually only bring our tank weights and ankle weights.

We just got back from a trip to the Florida Keys. I have never run into this before but for many dive operators, the weights were an extra charge, usually about $4.00 for two tank dive

Going to Discount Divers I found lead for a $1.00 / pound. Quickl math, cheaper to buy the lead then leave it for another diver, then to rent. Tired to sell it back to Discount Diver's but that didn't work. Saved a few bucks but with four divers in the family every $$ counts.

:doctor:

I don't even own weights. I dive in Singapore and Malaysia, with occasional trips to other parts of SE Asia (Thailand last December, going to Bali this November). Everywhere I've been, tanks and weights have been included in the price of the trip.

I have integrated weights, but I always have a weight belt in the bottom of my bag, just in case. I don't like to rent/borrow belts because I always end up with one that's way too long.

On some local flights the weight limit for checked baggage is 20kg (44lb). If I were going to take weights, I'd have to thread them on to a belt and wear them!

Zept

take the belt - leave the weights! I have a pouch belt and this also works fine for solid weight rather than shot pouches.

Jonathan

plongere once bubbled...
We just got back from a trip to the Florida Keys. I have never run into this before but for many dive operators, the weights were an extra charge, usually about $4.00 for two tank dive

behind this is that a large percentage of visitors come from within Florida so bring their own. That's the thinking behind why it sometimes isn't included.

I agree that it should be included.

Tom

I do carry my own weights with me. I like to bring all of my equipment with me. I don't want any extra charges because I didn' t bring something.

I got my own belt, for fitting reason. Weights are usually provided at the dive spots. Some even loan U the belt for free but some charges like US$2 a day/trip for the belt. Hey at those prices, I rather buy my own belt.

The airlines have gotten very strict re limits on number of bags and the weight of each individual bag. Most now limit you to two bags and each bag must weigh less than 70 pounds (32 kg). Overweight charges can run $70-$80 one-way (i.e., on the round trip, be prepared to pony up $140 to $160). For a couple going on a dive vacation, 20 pounds of lead could easily put them over the limit.

The airlines defend the surcharge on the basis of homeland security and extra weight necessitating extra jet engine fuel. So consider the following experience from my last trip: The weight limit is applied to each individual bag. and one of my bags was over by 5 pounds. The fact that my other bag was 25 pounds under the 70 pound limit didn't matter; I would have to pay an $80 surcharge. For some reason, the ticket counter clerk was surprised that I insisted on being able to 6 pounds of equipment out of the heavier bag into the lighter bag, rather than pay the $80 charge.

- Homeland security?
How did my equalizing the weight of my bags make us safer?

- Extra cost of fuel?
To some degree, reasonable.

- Diminished mental capacity of the ticket counter clerk?
Sounds highly probable.

- Corporate gouging?
Most definitely!

Re what to carry, a weight belt cut to your waist size (I've been handed too many belts that were too short) with a buckle you trust (I've seen too many buckles that didn't work well) and a pair of one-pound weights for last minute adjustments (I've seen too many dive boats that didn't carry some spare weights or only had four-pound weights available). And even if you don't use them, you will likely end up being a hero to some other diver who isn't as fortunate or as good a planner as you!

better off renting one. their not that pricey. and some trips include it in the fee. You have to look at is it worth paying 3 a day for the pleasure of not dragging aroung your belt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom