weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was told that to get a good starting point for a beginner diver was 12% of their weight. That assumes:

1. Diving in freshwater
2. Al 80's
3. 5 mm wetsuit

That's how our instructors started us out, then when we did our first OW diver they had us deflate our BC, take a normal breath and float. They then adjusted our weight if needed with clip on weights if needed.

Ty

Here's what I was told by my LDS when I asked them...
(This is the method they use to calculate what their students will most likely need)

With a normal wetsuit:
5% of your body weight + 2 pounds

With a thick wetsuit:
10% of your body weight +2 pounds

I weigh 200 pounds, so I use 22 pounds of weight with my 6.5 mil suit.

One of the uses of log books - record what you're wearing, tank size (stell/alu), salt or fresh water then you have a record..

Also instructors tend to overweight students at O/W level......

I dived with no weight belt this weekend for the first time - yeee haaa! OK so I had steel twin 15l and steel 8l stage, membrane drysuit with a couple of t shirts and jogging pants on but still a memorable day!

Jonathan

thank you everyone for the help.
I do not have a lot of dives in my log book.
I understand that experience and history is an obvious advantage.

The little formulas X% of you body weight help because that gives me a place to start.

The "secret" is out! :eek:

It's experience, taking into account an estimate of your body weight and composition. For a given body weight, the leaner you are, the less weight you will need.

So the next time the instructor hands you 22 pounds and another guy about your same body weight gets 14 pounds, you know what the instructor is really saying.

Sounds like my excuse for putting on weight initially when I start going down the gym regularly - like I tell everyone muscle weighs more than fat and they just laugh!!

Now if I could just get over that initial period - sorted, but I always seem to lapse.....

I know what everybody has said about neutral boyancy at the surface and also at 15 feet. I see the ups and downs to both. I personally like to be neutrally boyant at the surface with an empty bladder, then I add 2 more pounds. I dont know why I do this, but once I started, it felt better. I know the 2# is not much at all for the air bladder to pull, and I never have problems at Depth. I dive dry and wet with this formula and I never have a problem. To be honest I think it is all personal preference. If you are a safe diver with good boyancy control, then do what you feel is comfortable to you. Some magical formula cannot replace what you like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom