weight training vitamins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snow drift

Reaction score
What kind of effect do vitamins like Creatine & Nitric Oxide Transducer (Pump tech) BY Muscletech Have or could have on DECO diving to 200'

While creatine has a fair share of research showing its effectiveness in certain applications, there is no peer-reviewed research supporting the claims made by the NO2 supplement manufacturers. It is all annecdotal.

That aside, it is more important to note that there is no research on the effect of either of the supplements on divers at depth, decompression obligation or not, and there never will be.

Personally, I encourage land-loving clients to fix their diets first, maximize their workout intensities second, then see if they're unhappy with the results before spending so much money on supplements. I recommend that divers stop taking any supplements several days before any dive because the cost of a diving injury is much greater than the cost of skipping several days of supplementation. If you dive very frequently, then I'd stay away from supplements altogether.

Besides, independent testing repeatedly shows tremendous "inconsistencies" in the nutriceutical industry- the chance that what you see on the label is actually in the bottle is often less than 60%, depending on the category.

Cameron

I concur fully with Cameron's summary.

CameronMartz:
While creatine has a fair share of research showing its effectiveness in certain applications, there is no peer-reviewed research supporting the claims made by the NO2 supplement manufacturers. It is all annecdotal.

That aside, it is more important to note that there is no research on the effect of either of the supplements on divers at depth, decompression obligation or not, and there never will be.

Personally, I encourage land-loving clients to fix their diets first, maximize their workout intensities second, then see if they're unhappy with the results before spending so much money on supplements. I recommend that divers stop taking any supplements several days before any dive because the cost of a diving injury is much greater than the cost of skipping several days of supplementation. If you dive very frequently, then I'd stay away from supplements altogether.

Besides, independent testing repeatedly shows tremendous "inconsistencies" in the nutriceutical industry- the chance that what you see on the label is actually in the bottle is often less than 60%, depending on the category.

Cameron

Regarding creatine, assuming you're getting what the bottle says, could it possibly actually be GOOD for deco? From what I've read it more or less increases blood flow and it's recommended that you drink plenty of fluids to enable the water to fill your muscle tissue...? I agree with your statement that since no one knows, stay away before diving but in theory...?

Hank49:
Regarding creatine, assuming you're getting what the bottle says, could it possibly actually be GOOD for deco? From what I've read it more or less increases blood flow and it's recommended that you drink plenty of fluids to enable the water to fill your muscle tissue...? I agree with your statement that since no one knows, stay away before diving but in theory...?

Creatine does not increase blood flow- it has no pharmacological effect. It is food-type supplement that is a source of energy like carbohydrates are a source of energy. As the muscle cells store additional creatine, water is drawn in with it to maintain hydrostatic balance- that is where the water is going and not the circulation.

As an aside, creatine only makes sense for someone who is an extremely experienced strength athlete (weight lifter, sprinter, etc.). The creatine monohydrate energy system requires extremely high intensities to become depleted, while most of us are giving in before that happens.

Do not underestimate the placebo effect when talking to creatine users. If you think you're taking something that's going to make you stronger, then you're likely to have the confidence to push a little harder each workout. That in itself could be the source of increased fitness that many creatine users experience.

Cameron

snow drift:
What kind of effect do vitamins like Creatine & Nitric Oxide Transducer (Pump tech) BY Muscletech Have or could have on DECO diving to 200'

offtopic but I keep hearing muscletech is overpriced, overhyped crap. you can get the generic stuff for a fraction of the price. for example, creatine monohydrate can be easily found for less than $20/kilo.

2 cents:

10 years under the water. 10 years on/off Creatine, Glutamine, and others. Never a problem. Remember to cycle, try to time an off cycle around the dive trip.

Be safe y'all

All creatine really does is provide inorganic phosphorous for use in creating ATP anaerobically.

But anecdotally, I hear it can dehydrate you, so be sure to drink lots of water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom