Weight question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brucet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My son is coming down this weekend, and I am taking him diving in the Keys. He has never dove in saltwater, so I am trying to figure out how much weight he needs. He uses 6 lbs on an AL80 in freshwater. I am guessing 10 or 12 lbs for saltwater.

Depends on how much he and his equipment weigh, in addition to his weights.

The rule of thumb is to add up body weight, equipment weight (can be estimated at 50 lb -- cylinder, BC, regulator, fins, etc.), and ballast weight. Then multiply the total by 2.5%. That will be how much weight to add for salt water as a start.

Then a buoyancy check during the first dive, of course, to fine-tune.

These guidelines assume an average build individual in salt water. Decrease the weight somewhat for lean individuals and increase it for heavier individuals Exposure Suit Type Start With Swimsuit/dive skin 1 - 4 lbs 3 mm/1/16 in. one piece wet suit, shorties, jump suit 5% of your body weight 5 mm/3/16 in. two piece wet suit 10% of your body weight 7 mm/1/4 in. wet suit w/hood & gloves 10% of your body weight, + 3 - 5 lbs Neoprene dry suit 10% of your body weight, + 7 - 10 lbs Shell dry suit, light undergarment 10% of your body weight, + 3 - 5 lbs Shell dry suit, heavy undergarment 10% of your body weight, + 7-14 lbs Salt/Fresh Water change Body Weight Add(going to salt) or subtract (going to fresh) 100 - 125 lbs 4 lbs 126 - 155 lbs 5 lbs 156 - 186 lbs 6 lbs 187 - 217 lbs 7 lbs

My son is coming down this weekend, and I am taking him diving in the Keys. He has never dove in saltwater, so I am trying to figure out how much weight he needs. He uses 6 lbs on an AL80 in freshwater. I am guessing 10 or 12 lbs for saltwater.

I normally use about 14 lbs in saltwater with an AL80 (3MM full wetsuit), when I dove freshwater springs in the winter I used 6 or 7 pounds. Unless he was overweighted with 6lbs in the freshwater, I'd think he'd need a bit more than 5 or 6lbs in the saltwater.

Then again, you can always come back to the dive boat for another few pounds if 6lbs is not enough

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom