Weight Question + Hello

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wisper7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First just wanted to introduce myself to the NorCal Theater of diving. My diving experience is pretty much nil but I'm going to change that soon hopefully. In fact, if anyone ever wants a Buddy and doesn't mind a newbie (I don't think I'm bad, but not going to fake any experience) I'm available 50% of the time :).

Anyways, I have a question about weights. I just bought a whole setup, and the last thing I need are weights. However, I do not know how much weight I really need. What is the best way of initially testing this out? Its my understanding that dive shops charge you to use their pool (I'd rather buy my weights online where they're half the price). Is going to folsom lake alone but only getting in to like 7 feet of water a bad idea, or do I need to drag my buddy out just for weight adjustments?
OR, is there a free area/pool I can use that anyone knows of? I'm in the Sacramento Area.
Just looking for the more experienced opinion. Thanks!

-Jacob

I like to test everything in ocean. I cant stand hot pool :). I have one of those belts with poket. so i(rather my buddy) can add or remove weights, till im happy. Next time you go to monterey drop a line.

Welcome to diving!

I agree with Andrew, the best way to test is in the ocean. You probably have some starting point for weighting based on your open water course, so you can begin with that along with some minor adjustments based on whether you felt over- or under-weighted. If you don't remember what you used in OW, you can use the heuristics the dive shops will give you for certain exposure suits (like 10% of your weight + x pounds -- I can't remember them off the top of my head). From there, it's a matter of actually diving in your regular equipment and seeing how your feel. You can adjust in 2-lb increments if weighting felt a little off; greater increments if it felt way off. IMHO, weighting is more of a process of experimentation than a single attempt than lends itself to mathematical precision.

Keep in mind that your ultimate goal should be to be neutrally buoyant at the end of your dive at 10 feet with around 500 psi in your tank and little or no air in your BC and (if, applicable) a comfortably-inflated drysuit. Again, getting to this "magical" weighting is a matter of experimentation, and even with no equipment changes, you'll likely see that your "ideal" weighting will change (generally, downward) as you gain comfort and experience. (And, of course, be ready to repeat the process as you change exposure suits, tanks, etc.).

Finally, don't get too hung up over this as you begin your diving. So long as you aren't ridiculously over- or under-weighted, you'll be fine. Just stay within your comfort zone with a dependable buddy nearby and get used to your new, watery world. Even without thinking about it, as you gain dives under your belt you'll naturally settle on a weighting that's at least adequate.

That's my two cents. Best of luck!

I agree with Andrew & Dong. The only way to know is to weight check in water that you dive. As for buying weight, keep an eye on Craigslist, you can usually get $2/lb or less. You can tell us what tank, bc, exposure suit and accessories you have, we can probably give you a ball park number.

Why not head out to Lake Natoma or Folsom Lake? I know Folsom lake charges $10 to park there for the day, but I don't know about Lake Natoma. I've also gone up to Feather River in Oroville, but that may be too much of a drive out of your way just for a weight check.

If you ever come up to Redding I can take you to Wiskeytown lake. It's a pretty good lake for diving, about a mile from my house. Water is a little cold right now 48, but if the weather ever warms up we can start diving. I use a 7mm full hooded wetsuit there. I'ts easy diving and I have tons of dives there.

Its a good thing to dial in your weight, but remember it will vary over the years as you add / change gear, you add/loss body weight, you wetsuit ages and you diving technique improves. So don't go buying just the "right" amount now in big sizes. You will always need a few smaller weights to make adjustments. Typically, divers can drop several pounds over their first year of diving as they hone their skills and being able to drop 2lbs at a time is real nice.

Welcome to SCUBABoard! Check out NorthCoast Divers. There is a campout at Van Damme next weekend. About a 4hr drive for you, but well worth the trip for hiking and having a good time. We will probably drive up Saturday Apr14. I am only freediving, but can bring my SCUBA weight belt with extra weights and help you get weighted properly. There will be many SCUBA divers. Sign up on the NorthCoast Diver website.

Welcome to SB and to diving!

I agree with GrumpyOldGuy - for now you should buy or rent weights that are small and many. Despite my needing 30 lbs to get neutral in my drysuit with thick undergarments, no single weight that I use is over 5 lbs. My weights are distributed across my rig (top cam, bottom cam, and waist) to achieve the proper balance.

Cheers,

Crush

Thanks guys! Looks like the consensus is to just buy a bunch and go out and fool around with it, so that's what I'll do.

Steve, next time I end up in Redding I'll let you know. I'll probably stick to Folsom for a bit but eventually I will want to do a bit of 'adventuring'.

And I will check out NOrthCoast divers for sure. I work that whole weekend so I won't make that trip, but I'm assuming there will be many more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom