Weight pockets and $$$$$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great point Jim one of my favorite things to watch is new divers who insist on putting all their weight in the BC and then watching them do a BC removal, lol, feet up holding on to the BC with that look on their face priceless(before anyone starts flaming me I am sure to have control of the student).

it is kinda cool. But worse is getting AOW students who were told to load the crap out of the BC and that they would never need a weight belt again. Those are the instructors you just want to slap. Hard.

I lost a quick release oceanic probe weight pocket yesterday and need to get another one but they are so so so expensive. 60 bucks for just the pocket. Come on. Where can I get cheap ones or who has extras and I'll send you a check

Does your BCD use the QLR3 weight pockets? If so, then you may be in luck - Oceanic issued a recall on those in January of 2012. If your BCD hadn't already been serviced by the recall, you should be able to contact Oceanic and get replacements for both.

BTW - how did you lose the pocket? :)

Really flots? I know a diver who lost two different weight pockets on two different bc's. We don't know what happened, but the company is automatically wrong, why?

The company is wrong because it's a bad design if pockets can fall out. That's simply unacceptable, like if the doors on your car randomly opened on the highway.

There are a number of designs where this is impossible and they should be using one of them.

flots

Weight integration is sold as the greatest thing since sliced bread but I much prefer a belt. It distributes the weight evenly, is just as ditchable, doesn't put stressv on the BC while carrying it, and they are cheap. If I ever went back to a traditional bc instead of bp/w I think I would still use a belt.

for me weight integration is great... because i dont need 28lbs... i dive 8lbs, 2 in each pocket and 2 on tank pockets... so for me its great... now that i'm diving bp/w i hate to have to go back to a belt... so i got pockets that will attach the the harness if necessary (i may be good to go with 4lbs on the tank based on my pool dive of 0 weight and being -ve)

so dont knock it for everyone.. it has its place.. if i go back traditional (which i wont).. i will get weight integrated

Weight integration is sold as the greatest thing since sliced bread but I much prefer a belt. It distributes the weight evenly, is just as ditchable, doesn't put stressv on the BC while carrying it, and they are cheap. If I ever went back to a traditional bc instead of bp/w I think I would still use a belt.

for me weight integration is great... because i dont need 28lbs... i dive 8lbs, 2 in each pocket and 2 on tank pockets... so for me its great... now that i'm diving bp/w i hate to have to go back to a belt... so i got pockets that will attach the the harness if necessary (i may be good to go with 4lbs on the tank based on my pool dive of 0 weight and being -ve)

so dont knock it for everyone.. it has its place.. if i go back traditional (which i wont).. i will get weight integrated

Yes I agree! I just don't think it's as big of a deal as ppl make it out to be.

The company is wrong because it's a bad design if pockets can fall out. That's simply unacceptable, like if the doors on your car randomly opened on the highway.

There are a number of designs where this is impossible and they should be using one of them.

flots

OP said he "lost one" but never said "it fell out" - I assumed he misplaced it by that choice of words.

Back
Top Bottom