weight belt pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The XS pockets are also great for adding trim weights to BC or Tank straps.... and you can use hard weights in them, too.

I have been thinking about switching to hard weights so it will be easier to use belt keeper things to keep the weights in place so I don't have to readjust after I pick the belt up and the weights all slide around. This may be seen as an advantage as with the XS Scuba pockets you can slide them around during the dive to adjust where the weights are on you. I have a pretty good idea of where I want mine, so now I just want to lock them in.
Serrated keepers work well with std. 2" harnesses for keeping weight pockets in place.

John

i have a couple of the 2 lb bullet weights in the xsscuba weight belt pocket and noticed they can almost slip through that little gap. Never thought that the 5 lb softweight might! Hardweights and zipties? I guess you could cut some 2" webbing into strips and sew it in each gap, or put some mesh material in each pocket??

Also, with the softweights, I seem to recall reading not to leave them soaking too long, but do they dissolve in pool water???? The other day I was checking my weighting for a new tank in the pool and noticed a cloud of grey coming out of the soft weight pouch (I assume it was lead). Not so much worried about the weights getting lighter, but maybe about putting lead in my pool. But I tend to worry about things that don't matter.

BTW, I looked at the same solution as you -- hard weights -- and was surprised that they are so hard to find locally. One store told me with the advent of weight integrated BCs he hasn't stocked hard weights in well over five years. :11: From what I've found, you can buy hard weights online but the shipping costs as much as the weights...

John

There is a guy on Ebay who recasts and he was charging $1.45# and free shipping. Also I don't recomend ScubaMax zippered soft belt. Tore mine very quickly(the material not the seam) and of course I had already added a clip to hang it for ladderless boat entry so no way to take it back.

Also, with the softweights, I seem to recall reading not to leave them soaking too long, but how fast do they dissolve in water???? The other day I was checking my weighting for a new tank in the pool and noticed a cloud of grey coming out of the soft weight pouch (I assume it was lead). Not so much worried about the weights getting lighter, but maybe about putting lead in my pool. But I tend to worry about things that don't matter.
Its the lead dust from the lead shot in the weight pouches. If you rinse them for a few days in a water bucket and run a hose over them it'll get rid of most of the dust. Scubapro at least used to sell sealed weight pouches for environmentally sensitive dives.

John

I use the XS Scuba weight belt with the velcro-flapped pockets. Up until recently, I've been very happy with it. But on a dive last weekend, I lost a five pound soft weight out of one of the pockets, with the flap still Velcroed shut. It made for a very interesting ascent -- Thank goodness for kelp :) I am seriously thinking about switching over entirely to hard weights, although they're impossible to buy here.

Come dive in new england. We've got plenty of hard weights. Out here most people aren't really interested in paying extra for soft weights.

Thx John B

I guess the dust is created by friction between all the shot? These pouches have over a hundred dives and rinsings and it seems that dust that was from when the lead was cast, or snipped or pressed or whatever, would be gone by now...

Got some hard weights today.

XS Scuba weight belt. I have no idea (and I'd rather never find out) how a five pound weight could slip out.

Back
Top Bottom