Weight Belt + Canister Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

newton

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm not sure if this is a light question, or a weight-belt question, but since it's caused by a light, here goes.

After years of diving, I've finally seen the light. :)

This winter, I broke down and bought a can light. Unfortunately, I can't justify the $$ for the nice and light HID's with the NiMH batteries, so I found an older 50W Halogen AUL 14 light on Ebay. This light is *awesomely* bright, and I'm guessing I can get about 3 hours of burn-time out of it. I haven't done any burn-tests, but the batteries in it are 'supposed to be' brand-new, and I have no reason to think otherwise.

Unfortunately, the 14 in the model # is apparently how much it weighs underwater. (Not really, it's the # of Amp hours, but SLA batteries are *REALLY* heavy.) The thing weights 18# out of the water, so you can imagine that it weights only a bit less in the water. At some point I will figure out how much it weighs, but for now I have a much bigger problem that finding the optimal amount of weight.

In the couple of open-water dives that I've been able to do with the light installed, I'm finding myself wanting to roll over in the water toward the can light, simply because all my weight is primarily on the one side.

Oh, quick review of my gear. Halcyon 36# wing, SS BP, standard Hogarthian regulator setup. I've got a DUI 450ClX drysuit, using an underlayer of micro-fleece and a top-layer of 300G polarfleece (Softweyr).

Prior to using the light, I was using the Halcyon ACB+ pockets with 10# of weight in each of them. Now, with the light, I've been forced to move to a weight belt, simply because it makes mounting the light that much easier. (I slide the light onto my harness (*), then use a second buckle to hold it on).

It's been a long time since I've used a weight-belt, but I built one out of a couple of Halcyon trim pockets, and although it's not optimal, it at least allows me to get in the water and test things out.

Right now, I put 5# in each pocket, which are located on either side of my waist. This setup works well as a generic weight-belt, but not so good for the canister since my weight is not evenly distributed with the heavy can-light.

So, a couple of questions.

1) Is is acceptable/normal for people with big-heavy can-lights to move all of their 'weight-belt' lead onto the opposite side of the light for dives using the can light?
2) Assuming the answer is yes, would something like Idaho Sewing weight-belt be the right answer for a weight-belt that can be customized on a per-dive basis. Say if I don't wear the light, I need to be able to shuffle the weight around to even it out more.

Or, if the answer is no, do you have hints/techniques I can do to try and get my trim better. I understand that it may not be optimal to have the weights moving around from dive to dive depending on my configuration, and that this uncomfortable feeling may just be part of the 'new gear' setup. (I was uncomfortable for the first 10-15 dives on my drysuit until I got comfortable with the 'floaty feet' feeling).

I know one solution is to get a much lighter canister with NiMH batteries, and I'm working on that. Unfortunately, I don't (yet) have access to a lathe, and so far my attempts at building a waterproof lid haven't been hugely successful. I know what needs to be done, but until I'm satisfied with the seal being 100%, I'm not going to ruin some very expensive batteries. So, for now I'm sticking with the 18# monster canister.

Thanks!

Nate

* In my original article I stated I mounted the light onto my weight belt when meant to say harness. Thanks Wendy!

newton:
Unfortunately, the 14 in the model # is apparently how much it weighs underwater. (Not really, it's the # of Amp hours, but SLA batteries are *REALLY* heavy.) The thing weights 18# out of the water, so you can imagine that it weights only a bit less in the water. At some point I will figure out how much it weighs, but for now I have a much bigger problem that finding the optimal amount of weight.

Nate

The AUL 14 is deceptive. It's heavy out of the water, but has a lot of trapped air in the canister. In my experience 5lbs negative was about right. I wore a single 5lb block on the opposite hip and everything evened out nicely once underwater.

how come you wear the canister light on your weight belt and not on your harness?

Whoops, I meant that I wear the can light on my harness. Sorry for the misinformation.

[ I'll edit the orignal posting to correct this ]

Nate

Back
Top Bottom