Weeki Wachee Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boats

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Holy SMOKES, I started a thread! :D

On catching up on posts, I noticed some conversation regarding Weeki Wachee Springs having re-opened. In my forced absence, I never knew they even closed!

While in Florida last week, I managed to sneak in some dives at Hudson Grotto, as well as two dives over at Weeki Wachee.

While at Weeki, I spoke with one of the owners of the dive shop contracted by the state of Florida to oversee the diving. His name is Alan (I have his biz card with his last name and contact info if anyone would like this), and he was very nice. He told me the last time the spring was closed, was in the mid-1950's. While the spring was recently closed, he and his partner spent over 400 hours each (give or take) diving and cleaning the spring. I guess, the old moss and such would sink to the bottom of the spring, causing build-up over time. At the time of the cleaning, most of the rocks were covered, and the place was in need of some house keeping. I guess they removed a LOT of dead gunk! For lack of a professional word.

I never dove Weeki before, so I have nothing to compare the "new look" to. But, I thought it was great! Even with 20 or so students in the water, the vis did not murk up! Lots of turtles and fish to check out. I had to be out of the water 30 minutes before the mermaid show, but other than that, it was all good. I left the park to get some lunch, and they stamped my hand so I could go back in the afternoon (after the last mermaid show at 3 pm) to make a second dive. It was great! No students in the water, just myself and my dive buddy, plus the safety diver they keep in the water.

Sorry for the length of this post, I'm sure most of you have dove here! I just really enjoyed the dive spot!

Boats

- I uploaded some pictures of Weeki to my photos on ScubaBoard if anyone wants to check 'em out. I have more, I was just having problems getting them to upload, along with my video. Does anyone have any advice on uploading to ScubaBoard?

Same as above, what is the cost to dive? Me and my buddies are looking at going on July 4th weekend. Great write-up and great pics...thanks!!

The price to dive the springs is $55.

BUT! THAT's NOT all! You recieve the following for your $55:

1. You can dive the springs as often as you'd like that day (no free air fills though, so bring tanks or run down to one of the shops in the area for a fill / they also have tanks on-site to rent). They will stamp your hand, and let you come and go from the park as you please.

*night diving was as of yet, unavailable. I asked the coordinator about this, and it was something he said they soon would start. If interested, be sure to ask!*

2. You are able to take the Weeki Wachee river tour boat cruise.

3. You are able to take advantage of the Weeki Wachee Bonzi water park (um, like 3 or 4 slides)

4. You are able to watch and enjoy the STUNNING Little Mermaid, mermaid show. There are three shows. The first is at 11 am, with the last being at 3 pm.

I hope this extra information helps!

Boats

Last edited:
Weeki Wachee diving can be fun. I'm one of the weekend safety divers there, and you can sign up through the Weeki Wachee website (Dive Program section) or you can call at 352-636-5364 and speak to either Allan or Deb.
The basin used to be algae covered, but Allan spent a couple of months clearing it out. And there is a night dive scheduled for this Saturday, but so far only 3 people signed up, so it may go away. Contact them if you want to go. There will probably be more night dives at later dates if they're popular enough.

The state of Florida contracted South Lake Divers out of Clermont FL to run the dive operations at Weeki Wachi. They have a small "tiki hut" on site, with the usual stuff (tanks, mask de-fog, etc...) to sell.

Allen Sherrod, is the dive coordinator. To make reservations, call:

352.636.5364 (this is his direct line)

For those looking to dive Weeki for the first time, the following may help! It would have been helpful for me:

1. As soon as you pull in, park (temporarly) straight ahead by the curb. There is a white iron gate here, which will be unlocked, you can enter the park here. Once your gear is unloaded, simply drive over to the parking area. Divers do not have to pay the parking fee.

2. Walk through the white iron gate, then turn left and you'll easily spot the dive tiki hut. You pay here for your diving.

3. You can get a rather large, oversized wagon from the hut to use to wheel your gear over to the dive prep area.

4. There are a set of stairs, right by the dive prep area, which lead down to the spring. You can enter the spring from this point, OR walk around maybe 100 yards and enter from the swimming beach. I took the beach option during my first dive, because there were a GAGGLE of students standing in line to enter the water from the stairs.

5. You can dive the spring, plus head towards the river past the swimming beach to the mouth of the river. I found a LOT of fish in this area between the spring and the river mouth. BE WARNED! Once you get close the river mouth, the current picks up BIG TIME! I did not go far, and it was a SERIOUS grunt to get back around the bend and out of the current.

6. There was a woman who was working (I believe it was Deb) at the tiki hut, part of the dive team, who was awesome! Tell her it's your first dive there. My dive buddy and I did, and we got a nice letter from King Neptune thanking us for turning in our land legs for fins, and diving in his world. Nice touch! Also, when I left the park for lunch and to snag a tank fill, she let us use a wagon to stow our gear, right next to the hut and kept an eye on things for us.

Hope this all helps!

Boats

Last edited:
Weeki Wachee diving can be fun. I'm one of the weekend safety divers there, and you can sign up through the Weeki Wachee website (Dive Program section) or you can call at 352-636-5364 and speak to either Allan or Deb.
The basin used to be algae covered, but Allan spent a couple of months clearing it out. And there is a night dive scheduled for this Saturday, but so far only 3 people signed up, so it may go away. Contact them if you want to go. There will probably be more night dives at later dates if they're popular enough.

Thanks for all the info.....if I didnt have to work this Saturday, I would be all over that night dive!

Thank You Boats for diving with us at Weeki Wachee Springs State Park. All the info you gave is right on the money. Anyone please visit WeekiWacheediving.com and get on the mail list for up coming events. Thank you from Allen & Deb contact # 352-636-5364

Well hey scubaflier!

You guys were great! Had a great time!

Boats

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom