Weekend on the Spectre - trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leejnd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I spent the entire weekend on the Spectre dive boat out of Ventura – two day trips, Saturday to Anacapa and Sunday to Gull Island. This was a weekend of trying out new purchases: a whole new camera rig, and a battery-powered heated vest that you wear under your wetsuit, which I purchased at the Long Beach Scuba Show a couple weeks ago.

Both days were great – excellent conditions, fantastic boat crew, lovely dives. Unfortunately my product testing didn’t go so well. First, the camera rig: I purchased an Olympus E-PM1 mirrorless camera with all the accoutrements (Olympus housing, fisheye lens & dome port, macro lens, strobes, focus light, etc.). The first time I tried to use my camera few weeks ago, I had problems with the fisheye dome port (it got stuck on the housing) and had to send it back to the manufacturer. I received it back just in time for this trip, but this time, when I took it underwater, the darn thing LEAKED! Fortunately I managed to get back to the surface before much water got in, and swapped it for the original port, which worked fine for the remainder of the dives. So I’m not too pleased with this dome port, and have asked for a replacement.

Second, the heated vest: this was a big gamble for me – I saw them at the scuba show and thought I’d go ahead and try it. I was considering a dry suit, but after this budget-busting camera equipment purchase, I really couldn’t afford one. But this vest sounded like a good, and WAY less expensive, alternative. I don’t know anyone who’s tried them around here, so I figured I’ll be our local guinea pig, and would report back my findings.

I’ll post a more detailed review of it later – short version, the first dive it worked GREAT! But after that, something seems to have failed: it would only go to the lowest of three heat settings. And in the 55 degree water we were diving in, you really need the high setting. The good news is that I spoke to the manufacturer today and they are going to send me a new one. So I want to wait until I get it, and it works a few times, before I post my final product review. I’m hoping this was just one bad unit…suffice to say that if the next one functions the way it’s supposed to, my review will be mostly positive.

Now, on to the dives. Saturday was an open boat trip to Anacapa. I was happy to find a couple people I knew on the boat – Nicole Tibaldi was our DM, and I’ve been diving with her before on Mr. C. Also ran into Rex (diverrex on ScubaBoard). Unfortunately the conditions were undiveable at some of the best sites, down by arch rock – too much surge – so we stayed mostly at the West end, where there just wasn’t a whole lot of life. Still, I managed to get some okay shots.

Spent Saturday night on the boat, and we left at 4am for Gull Island, which is a tiny rock island out past Santa Cruz Island. This was an Eco Dive Center charter. It was an AWESOME day! I knew the sites would be teeming with life, and boy were they!

The crew were fabulous both days, reminding me why Spectre is right up there among my favorite local dive boats. I still find my heart leaping a bit at the gate (Spectre gives new meaning to the term GIANT stride!), but I’m getting used to it. And ya gotta love a boat with a hot tub…especially when the gally crew brings your brownie sundaes TO you while you’re sitting in it!

So, here are a few of my best shots. Please remember that I’m new at this whole underwater photography thing, so try not to compare them to the stunningly artistic work of some of our other frequent posters in here!

DAY ONE - Anacapa

This is the first time I was able to get a shot of a Garibaldi protecting her eggs, in which you can actually see the egg patch.
AnacapaIslandMay19-18.jpg

Okay I realize that keyhole lipets are not exactly the most exciting subject, but something about the placement of these two looked to me like…well…boobs!
AnacapaIslandMay19-13.jpg

Now that I have a macro lens, I can actually take photos of gobies.
AnacapaIslandMay19-11.jpg

AnacapaIslandMay19-5.jpg

Just playing around with the macro lens
AnacapaIslandMay19-4.jpg

DAY TWO – Gull Island

The moment I dropped down, I realized I was in a nudie extravaganza! Here’s the first one I saw…
GullIslandMay202102.jpg

Okay so I’m not a nudie expert, so maybe some of you experts can help me with my identifications.

I *think* this is a Limacia cockerelli – is that correct? Is there a “popular” name for these?
GullIslandMay202102-2.jpg

GullIslandMay202102-3.jpg

And this is a lemon dorid (Doriopsilla albopunctata) – is that right?
GullIslandMay202102-5.jpg

Diaulula sandiegensis, aka San Diego Dorid?
GullIslandMay202102-33.jpg

GullIslandMay202102-7.jpg

One of my better Hermissenda shots
GullIslandMay202102-6.jpg

Definitely my best Spanish Shawl shots
GullIslandMay202102-31.jpg

GullIslandMay202102-35.jpg

Horn shark – I couldn’t help but wonder, how does he lay down right on top of all those spiny urchins?
GullIslandMay202102-20.jpg

There were TONS of bugs out at Gull Island, and HUGE ones – biggest I’ve ever seen! They clearly have no fear of humans – they would waltz out of their holes right up to my face. This one exited his hole, waved hello, and began marching right in front of me to another hole.
GullIslandMay202102-27.jpg

Those macro photos ain't bad at all!!!

I went out on the Explorer on Sunday to Painted Cave. Didn't quite get to Painted Cave but we dived Radar Point and around that area. The kelps were sparse but the rocky shelves were awesome with nudies and crabs. I saw three massive sheep crabs, two rock crabs that were so old, they had the stuff grown on them. Tons of nudies, even the funky one that you took photo of (I think it's called Clown nudie). Ling cods, even an 8-incher California Scorpion fish. That fish was so well camouflaged that I was literally on top of it and saw its eyes with my peripheral vision.

Great Report Leejnd! Really like your first black eyed gobi shot. Nice cup coral capture as well.

Your Limacia cockerelli is actually a Triopha catalinae "common name Clown Dorid". The have very similar coloration, so they are easy to mix up.

Also, you should have said "Garibaldi protecting HIS eggs", as the males guard the nest. The female Garibaldi contributes very little to the brood cycle beyond laying the eggs. The male will farm the mat of red algae "nest", wait for a suitor, inseminate the laid eggs "sometimes from multiple females", defend the nest from predators and keeps the eggs oxygenate by swimming slowly over the nest. He's a very busy daddy:D

Clearly I have some work to do in learning to identify all these great marine critters I'm shooting! Thanks for your help, Frank. I'll update my facebook page with the correct info.

Y'know I think I did hear that about male Garibaldi's before, I just forgot. Great info! Thanks for the comment about the cup corral - but, um, can ya tell me which picture captured it? :D

HT, I saw the Explorer divers offloading their gear at the same time we were coming off Spectre. If I'd seen you I'd have said hello! :happywave:

Hi Leejnd - nice report and great photos. For those of you who haven't dove Spectre that 1st step really is a doosey!

[h=3]Balanophyllia elegans, Orange Cup Coral[/h]
AnacapaIslandMay19-4.jpg

Taken from Divebums: Marine Creature ID:
Most common coral (scleractinian) in southern California. A common solitary coral, occurring in the same range as the brown cup coral Paracyathus stearnsii. Generally orange, with orange tentacles bearing wart-like clusters of stinging cells. Though commonly called orange cup coral, yellow color morphs also exist. Cups up to 25 mm (1 inch) in diameter, and 25 mm (1 inch) high. Found from British Columbia to central Baja California. Found on or under shaded rocks, on sides of surge channels, and under ledges, from low intertidal zone to 200 meters (1968 feet).

The orange cup coral polyp can almost completely retract into its stony skeleton. Food is primarily caught by the tentacles, but the mouth may open widely, permitting the stinging cells in the gastrovascular cavity to trap food. Its tentacles evert specialized stinging cells (spirocysts), producing tangles of sticky tubules to capture prey or attach the coral to the bottom, or both. Sexes are separate, with eggs fertilized and developing in the female's gastrovascular cavity, releasing worm-like orange larvae in spring and summer, or year-round but mainly in winter (depending on which source you read!). A filamentous blue-green photosynthetic bacterium/alga (cyanobacteria/cyanophyte) can occur in the skeletal matrix of the orange cup coral, producing a purple-red coloration seen in the tissue-free skeleton.

Nice report and photos. Glad you saw more life at Gull Island. I was really disappointed with our four dives at Anacapa, to the point that I think I'll avoid it for a while. I can only take looking at mostly rocks and purple urchins so much.

Last edited:
Those are some darned nice photographs for your first time in the water with the camera. In fact, those are some darned nice photographs, period!

Good job LeeAnne, thanks as always for sharing your photos.
Thanks Frank for the Garibaldi report. They can be quite aggressive when you are near their nest.
Are the smaller ones with the blue spots the females?

I'm with Rex. I'm done with Anacapa until the kelps grow back. I can only look at so much sea urchins and barren rocks.

The Garibaldis with the blue spots are juveniles.

Back
Top Bottom