Weekend Dive Nov 25th 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I went to Leo Carrillo today, and they were evacuating the park due to the fire being so close. I'd suggest you pick a different spot. PCH was closed today from Trancas Canyon down to Malibu Canyon.

I ended up diving at Malibu Rd. And I had to drive all the way BACK out to the 101 and down to Topanga to get there! We could see the flames near Pepperdine while we were out on the water, and we were watching the helicopters and planes circle out to the ocean and getting water to drop on the fires. Made us think about that old urban legend about the dead scuba diver found up in a tree after a water-dropping plane scooped him up and dropped him on a forest fire. Of course they actually use hoses to suck up the water so that dispels that myth, but it was cool to watch.

The dive was okay - the vis wasn't great, maybe 5-7 opening up to 10 in some places. I did have a good dive, tho - finally caught my first lobster of the season. Yay! Plus the conditions were fantastic - not even ankle-slappers. I needed a good easy beach entry for my first SoCal dive in months.

I'm going to have to drop out for tomorrow -- my son's last day here before he goes back to school. Hopefully I'll be able to make the next one.

I'm all packed up and ready to go for tomorrow, but I remember the last time I tried to drive to Malibu during the fires, I never made it because they had shut down the roads.

I vote for relocating to something non-Malibu like Vet's Park or even further south like White Point or even Laguna. Even if they get the fire under control, I'd rather not take the risk of picking a dive site with questionable accessibility tomorrow. I've left a message for Rick, so hopefully we'll hear from him.

Hello ,I'm planning to come, anybody still planning this dive?- I will go somewhere else if the conditions are bad in Carillo, if anybody want to come let me know.
my cell # 844-3175

Hey Beach Crabs,
I did not see any of the posts & was wondering why I was all alone along the side of PCH at 7:57am yesterday.... A few minutes later Jim pulled up-- making the long haul from Visalia. The diving was BEAUTIFUL!-- Jim said 20' vis, but I think it was 25'. Nice structure, reef fish, I saw two octopi! Very nice, I grabbed 3 shorties, but was foiled on the bug front, otherwise great dives. Sorry no one else made it but it was spectacular. Hope to see you all next weekend.
-Tom

447.2 miles. That was the reading on my trip odometer when I pulled into my driveway last night. What can I say, there just isn't much in the way of diving oportunities in Visalia. :shakehead:

After a 25 mile detour around Malibu, I met up with Tom at Leo Carillo and was able get in three dives.

Visibility was better than 20 feet. Reef structure was awesome with lots of fish. I saw a 3-4 foot bat ray resting on the bottom. I was about 5 feet away and watched it for about 30 seconds when it decided to "fly" off. What a sight. Also saw a one foot halibut and a two foot guitarfish, along with all the usual critters. Highlight of the day was during the safety stop on the third dive. A seal "buzzed" me. It zoomed by a few times (scared the bajeepers out of me the first time) and off it went. Then I had a long surface swim back to the beach (note to self: save air to swim under the kelp on the return :no).

I'll see you all next time.
Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom