week in OBX end of June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm renting a house in Kill Devil Hills for a week beginning Sunday, June 24th. I already signed up to dive the U-85 with OBX Dive Center that Sunday, but is there anyone here that would want to dive any of the beach wrecks? I'm pretty much free all week, but I'd like to dive out of Hatteras on one of the days. Any suggestions?

Also, does a 5-mil seem good enough; or, should I bring the drysuit (which I'll probably do anyway)? I'd appreciate any suggestions including divesites/shops, food , drink, off-roading, kayaking (bringing one) and nightlife.

:cheers:
Steve

Missing you by one week since we're leaving next weekend. I was hoping to find someone for a beach dive here as I've been multiple times off a boat here but never off the beach. Maybe next time.

As for your suit question, I use a Henderson 5-mil with the gold core stuff or whatever it is (can't recall -- supposed to be warmer than standard 5-mil, equivalent to 7). I've not had any trouble wearing that one, and I typically dive in June. I wear a good hood and a dive shirt underneath. My hands have been a bit chilly because I have thin gloves, but otherwise, I've been comfortable. From what I remember before I bought my current suit, they were pushing the 7-mil ones, but it depends on your cold tolerance. The Henderson claims on mine seem to have been true.

Brief food recommendations: Tortuga's Lie (small -- best conch fritters anywhere), Rundown Cafe (fish tacos and awesome beans and rice), Kelly's (a bit pricey but excellent seafood), Kill Devil Grill (all around good), Pigman BBQ (casual, excellent), Kill Devil Custard (custard, obviously). The only dive shop I frequent is the OBX Dive Center at MP12.5, and I've never had a bad experience.

Enjoy your visit!

Bill at OBX diving will take good care of you, I would probably wear a drysuit that close to shore, down in Hatteras the 5mil will work fine, that's what I wear & we have not been wearing hoods for the past 2 weeks down there.
Only 2 choices in Hatteras now, Capt. JT Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site or Capt. Dave DiveHatteras.com - NC shipwreck diving at it's best! both 6 packs & will do you well.

I'll be there this Thursday/Friday looking for a buddy to dive the Tri-Wrecks off the beach. Thinking about freediving or getting tanks but I want to get some fish. Anyone interested on those dates?

My wife and i plan on diving a few beach wrecks the same week. Not sure what day yet. We are staying in Duck so we have to plan it. There are two wrecks at mile post 7 and the triangle wrecks at milepost 11 that we are planning on diving.

Im flying in from Seattle and will be there next week as well. Staying in Duck. Trying to decide if we are going to dive and who I want to take us out.

I'm staying a block south and a few blocks in from the Avalon/Kill Devil Hills fishing pier. You're welcome to park, stash, or clean gear at my place. We can meet and throw our gear into one vehicle to go to the dive spots. My friends aren't divers, so they can drop us/gear off right at the beach.

As for the diving info I've found on the net: Two shops offer guides ($30 and $35). I'd like to get one for at least the first dive (hopefully Monday or Tuesday). I'm diving with one of the shops this Sunday, so I will get more info. BTW: If you get down there early Sunday morning, OBX Dive Center is diving the U-85 (1st German u-boat we sunk off the coast in WWII). I might be able to recruit some of the other boat divers to come on a shore dive.

I'm also bringing my inflatable kayak. If the breakers aren't too bad, I plan to take it out to the wrecks and stash gear/water/dive flag, etc.

Aside from Sunday's dive, I plan to take at least one or two local dive boat trips throughout the week. I'll PM you my cell phone number. Let me know if your interested.

Steve

Well, the U-85 dive is cancelled due to forcasted rough seas. OBX Divers said thay may reschedule sometime during the week. Does anyone else want to dive the first German submarine we sank off the East Coast? The more people interested, the better chance they'll schedule another dive during the week.

Steve

I hope you've been able to get some diving in. Did you do any of the beach dives and if so, what were the water temperatures and your impressions of the wrecks. I'll be diving the triangle wrecks with my newly certified son, next week and was wondering about what to expect. Thanks

Andrew

It wasn't too bad. The vis was only about 4 feet, but I could see several fish around. The wreck was shallowest at 8 feet and deepest around 18, and warm enough for only a skin or 3 mil. Paying a guide wasn't worth it, but if your son is newly certified, maybe that wouldn't be a bad deal. You can easily see where the wreck is from the shore if others are diving it. They also had a small buoy marking it. I used my inflatable kayak, so it was extra easy.

I hope you've been able to get some diving in. Did you do any of the beach dives and if so, what were the water temperatures and your impressions of the wrecks. I'll be diving the triangle wrecks with my newly certified son, next week and was wondering about what to expect. Thanks

Andrew

Back
Top Bottom