Wednesday's (6/9) Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Whitemouth Moray Eel
060904a.jpg

Half way up at the end of the dive
060904b.jpg

both great, but really love #2

So jealous...great pictures and I want to go diving.

Maybe later today...we'll see what the swell is doing...had 8 foot surge yesterday on the dives my crew did - very fun, but a bit difficult for the ol' photography!

oh very nice!

that second picture just captures something... wow....

yeah, got to agree the second one is very cool.

So how do you set the manual white balance for a shot looking upward? I hope what I'm about to say makes some sense.

Do you set it for the depth you are at, or at a depth which reflects the depth of your subject? Basically, assuming you are on the bottome in "X" feet of water, are you using the same white balance you'd use on the nearby patch reef to take the photo of the kayaks on the surface, or do you need to compensate somehow because the subject is lit differently?

Cool shot.

later,

Steve

#2 is a poetic shot, two kites flitting in the currents of inner space. I really like the texture and lighting of that shot. Thanks for sharing.

friscuba,
We were at 40 feet doing a half way safety stop from an 80 foot dive.
I used the same white balance calibration that I had from 80 feet. I just took a bunch of shots at different F stops and shutter speeds while we were killing time.
Keep in mind the vertical and horizontal visibility were near perfect today. I could see the bottom at 80 feet from the surface in my kayak.
I used 'Auto levels', some brightness reduction and sharpness adustments in Photoshop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom