Wednesday's (2/18) Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like the fact that you add your settings when you posted those shots. It really helps out with tweaking my shooting.

Great shots...........

UWJourner, I must admit I was underwater when I shot the pics of the Eagle Rays. It was one of those "perfect vis days". Those two rays hung out for about a third of my dive at that spot and were still there when I surfaced.
Even though I don't care for the colors in this shot I took it while surfacing. The depth is 70 feet. The rays were about 10 feet off the bottom and I was at 30 feet.
I wonder what happened to the tail of the smaller ray?

021804d.jpg

Gilligan:
I wonder what happened to the tail of the smaller ray?

Maybe you spotted that rare creature - the Retractable-Tail Spotted Eagle Ray?:jestera:

That flounder is great! I've been trying off and on for 4 years to get one. Must get a flash. Your pictures are getting real good. How much experimenting/bad shots did you have to do when you picked up the flash as far as exposure goes? Is the exposure way off a significant portion of the time or is it fairly easy to ballpark it?

Steve

Gilligan:
I think the Boxfish belly is a pale blue or off-white. I'm not sure but I'll check the next time I see one.

I unintentionally had the WAL on with this shot. But the flounder was pretty cool as it was about to settle down in the sand.

021804c.jpg

Steve, I find the Inon D-180 fairly easy to use. I use the camera on manual settings, usually between F6.3 and F8.0 for the strobe shots. I set the strobe to "Auto" and usually adjust the F stops on it up or down 1 notch from the matching camera setting, depending on the results. For instance the shots against the dark lava versus those against the sand. The exposure is on target most of the time but I always take a few shots at different settings just to have more options to pick from.

Nice shots.
Eagles are one of my favorites too.

Will we be seeing any Humpbacks soon?
This the season, no?

XJae,
I'm seeing Humpbacks every day I go out. They just aren't close enough to get pics of. I hear them underwater on every dive.

andrea31419,
Do you mean pics taken with the internal strobe or with no stobe at all?
Many of the pics on my website were taken with the internal strobe before I purchased the Inon D-180. A lot of those pics are with the Olympus C2040Z which was before I upgraded to the C4000Z.

Back
Top Bottom