Wednesday Photo ~ Frogfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

both were taken on my Sipadan, Malaysia trip last month around Mabul Island. They are relatively common especially around Mabul and Kapalai. Also spotted a few on my trip to Komodo Island, Indonesia, these past few days as well.

fbb9422a.jpg

fb7239fb.jpg

Oh YES YES YES ! :mdance:

My favourite subject !

I do not claim to be any sort of expert on these wonderful creatures so please refer to this fantastic link to learn a lot, and see a lot of great photos of these little beauties !

http://www.starfish.ch/frogfish/index.html

Gotta say there are some great photos above this posting too !

Yep fastest gobs (mouths) in the ocean to use a well known British expression !?! Not only that but don't get too close to a big one 'cos they can swallow prey up to their own size too (true) !
Missing Diver usually = frogfish population explosion ! :rolleyes:

There was a photographer who was trying to capture a shot of a particularly small and interesting fish and whenever he had one of them framed right it literally disappeared before his eyes - took him 15 mins to figure it out and only then when he spotted two Sargassum Frogfish, beautifully camouflaged, devouring his models !

This is a quote from the website mentioned:

"This is the fastest "gape and suck" of any fish, it takes only a six-thousandths of a second, which is faster than a scorpionfish or a stonefish (15 msec). They can actually catch a fish out of a school without the other fish noticing the disappearance. A frogfish will easily swallow prey that is larger than he is".

Wonderful ! So glad Dee started this thread (I think I've got the hang of this photo web posting thing as well) !

BTW very rarely when I've photographed frogfish they have actually moved and when they have they actually 'walk' on their prehensile pectoral fins (as did the one in the photo attached - taken at Nga Trang in Vietnam at around 20m). Watching them swim is hilarious as they skip and bounce around !

Kevin
:mdance:

Kevin....decrease that picture size, would ya?!?! :D

Nope - I still can't figure out how to save it as 800 x 600 it's just not in the program I'm usiing. Can only control quality (file size) !

I will succeed - now where are those manuals....

Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom