Wednesday Photo ~ Frogfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Since Shanghai is waiting on email to deliver his frogfish, Why not make that todays subject. I know you guys on the other side have got some great shots of this one.

My one and only sighting got me too excited to focus properly so at this time, it's the best I've got! But wait until the next Roatan trip!

abp.sized.jpg

abo.sized.jpg

Dee, that has got to be the coolest little fish that I have seen yet (photo that is), could you provide a little background on the fish for general educational purposes to us curious ones.

look forward to your pics everyday at lunchtime, for a quick peek and short removal from the cubical to another place and time.

Thanx,
=-)

My contribution - Dinah's reef, muck diving in PNG, my trusty Nik V and extension tube.

Frog%20fish.jpg

conchnclyde once bubbled...
Dee, that has got to be the coolest little fish that I have seen yet (photo that is), could you provide a little background on the fish for general educational purposes to us curious ones.

look forward to your pics everyday at lunchtime, for a quick peek and short removal from the cubical to another place and time.

Thanx,
=-)

I've only seen Frogfish twice. My diving is done in the Caribbean, mostly in Cozumel and Roatan. Neither of those places is known to have Frogfish. So it was a great surprise to find one in Roatan last year.

This one is an Ocelated Frogfish. It was found on an Azure Vase Sponge at 85 ft. Since they change colors, the slight lavendar colors could mean he hadn't been there long. A few days later his color was more pronounced. They are territorial and can be found in the same general area. And with their camoflage capabilities, that's not always easy! In fact, I looked for this guy every day and only found him again the last day of our trip, within about 12" of where I'd first seen him. BTW, this one was a baby. The DM told me there were also two adults on the same coral head but I never did see them. This young one wasn't camoflaged at the time and was pretty easy to see.

According to Humann's Reef Fish ID book....
ABUNDANCE & DISTRIBUTION
Uncommon Florida, Caribbean; rare Bahamas; also Gulf of Mexico and north to North Carolina.
HABITAT & BEHAVIOR
Wide range of habitats, from reefs to sandy and even muddy bottoms. Blend with background and usually go undetected unless they move.

Oooh! Frogs! I like those!

This first one was seen at Nearest Point, Klein Bonaire.

02-IMG_0050.jpg

The next two I somehow managed to spot on the same dive on the Lobster Wreck, in North Carolina. Incidentally, that was the same dive on which I also saw lionfish in the atlantic. Talk about luck!!! No lobsters, though.

03-IMG_0008.jpg

03-IMG_0010.jpg

Frogfish......very cool.

I have always thought they are so interesting. I saw a short piece on a discovery show that said they had the quickest strike of any fish. Do I have the right fish?

They are so ugly only a mother could love 'em.

Thanks, very neat shots.

Dee,

I am going to Aruba in September, and will more than likely be taking my first pics.

Have you ever dove/photo Aruba? If so, do you have any sites that you would recommend for photo's. Any chance that I may see one of these frogfish? Do they prefer a certain depth?

Thanx.

=-)

I've never been to Aruba. You might want to post this question over in the travel section. Aruba is still in the Caribbean so the Frogfish are still considered rare but if they are in Roatan, who knows...you may find one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom