Web Site Design

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K9trnr:
This is still quite juvenile, but I'm curious what spelling errors were found. Were you referring to "offense"? If you check Merriam Webster's dictionary, you'll find the following:

Main Entry: of·fense
Variant(s): or of·fence /&-'fen(t)s, especially for 3 'ä-"fen(t)s, 'o-/
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin offensa, from feminine of offensus, past participle of offendere
1 a obsolete : an act of stumbling b archaic : a cause or occasion of sin : STUMBLING BLOCK
2 : something that outrages the moral or physical senses
3 a : the act of attacking : ASSAULT b : the means or method of attacking or of attempting to score c : the offensive team or members of a team playing offensive positions d : scoring ability
4 a : the act of displeasing or affronting b : the state of being insulted or morally outraged <takes offense at the slightest criticism>
5 a : a breach of a moral or social code : SIN, MISDEED b : an infraction of law; especially : MISDEMEANOR
- of·fense·less /-l&s/ adjective

Were you suggesting offense was incorrect? Broaden your horizons. Expand your vocabulary. Open your mind. Consult your dictionary before you put emoticons that show a bare ***** and call into question your own command of the English language. There's apparently a serious crack in your understanding of it, but the bare ***** emoticon is still uncalled for. I won't debate further here because it's a waste of time. I just hope you'll crack open a book before you attack someone.

OK, I spell it "offence" as indeed, my (English, not American English) dictionary does. As for the emoticon, that's SB's not mine, just look to the left when you hit the reply button.

In fact, I didn't know of the "s" varient in spelling, so fair enough, you widened my horizons.

I intended it as a bit of humour (yes, with a "u")which you evidently failed to grasp.

Calm down, no-one died.

Just a comment on your design, the use of Arial Black makes some of the lettering a little hard to read. Good luck otherwise! :)

Hey Larry,

Thanks for writing back with the clarification. I missed the humor because of the emoticon, but I was probably a little bit quick to be offended by it. I do appreciate your explaining and wish you the best.

Bella, Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a look at it and possibly make some changes. There's always room for improvement. :)

Before you get your panties in a bunch, let me stipulate that this post is my opinion.

Your website layout is amateurish. There is no cohesiveness, low-res pictures abound. To be frank, anyone that has seen a nice website would be hard pressed to call what is currently at www.thescubapros.com the "professional" website it claims to be.

That being said, the concept of someone knowledgeable in the industry making a web presence is sound. I'd advice you to expand your knowledge of web design by spending lots of time in webmonkey.com, getting a good grasp of CSS, and looking up web design/layout books.

Keep it up.

K9trnr:
If your brick and mortar store doesn't have a web presence, you're missing out on the opportunity to reach the 1 billion + people that use the internet worldwide. We are able to help you get online quickly at an affordable cost. Please click the URL below for more information.

One observation I would make regarding your web site is to tone down the blue in the navigation menu. It is way to bright and is tough on the eyes. Also the red text on the blue background is extremely tough on the eyes.

Please construe this message in the proper light. I am just providing constructive criticism which you are free to consider or ignore.

I am not in competition with you and while I am a corporate software developer I don't sell web site design services. I develop internal software for use by my employer on a worldwide basis.

...and take the pic of the guy standing on the coral off the front page. :)
(just a suggestion)

All good advice and taken in the light it's mentioned. The site was put up as part of an assignment for my doctoral program. My knowledge of ecommerce is stronger than that of programming for sites, and I'm working on the latter. As a result, opinions are welcome. I put the low-res pics to assist with download speed since some people still use dial-up. Perhaps they're a little bit too low res. And I don't wear panties, so there's no fear of my getting them in a bunch. lol

My hope is to incorporate what I'm learning in my studies to contribute to the diving industry. For areas of programming that are currently beyond my reach, including the incorporation of Flash (if appropriate), I have college students I can hire as subcontractors.

The site really is something I threw out there as a requirement for an assignment and to get feedback, and I appreciate constructive criticism. It's helping me learn, and it's appreciated. Bare *** emoticons and immature postings don't help, but I've learned a bit about them too.

Anyway, thanks to anyone that's provided feedback. I'll work on the site as I continue to expand my knowledge in the area. If my site had been designed for a customer, I would have subcontracted parts, but it wasn't, and I'm learning more this way.

rakkis:
That being said, the concept of someone knowledgeable in the industry making a web presence is sound. I'd advice you to expand your knowledge of web design by spending lots of time in webmonkey.com, getting a good grasp of CSS, and looking up web design/layout books.

Keep it up.

At this point, my knowledge is strong in design/layout and in ecommerce and business as a whole, but my programming abilities are lacking. The site is a work in progress. I appreciate your feedback and positive thoughts.

Since the site is, or should be, an example of what I can do for customers, I probably should have paid to have some good programmers bring my ideas to fruition. But, as a full time student that is also employed full time by a university (not the kind of pay one would expect an MBA to make), the cash flow wasn't there. I didn't treat my own website as well as I would that of a customer, but I put my reputation behind it by putting it on the internet, so I hear ya.

When I posted the site and got attacked, it bothered me because that's one problem I see in the dive industry. Scuba professionals are underpaid, undercut each other, and have to compete with instructors offering free (or next to free) services. It takes away from the professionalism of the industry, and sites that aren't updated, have numerous grammatical errors, etc. also reinforce the perception in the public's mind that Scuba instructors are "dive bums". I'm all for constructive criticism because an exchange of ideas benefits everyone. To attack someone does no good for anyone.

When we train students, we have their lives in our hands, and we train them with the hope that the training will be sufficient to keep them out of jeopardy and help them enjoy all diving has to offer. It's a noble pursuit, and it's one I wish paid better, and maybe someday it will.

The constructive criticism I received on the site will benefit me, and I thank everyone that provided criticism that was meant to be constructive. The university I work for offers me free tuition, so I'm also working on advancing my knowledge of CSS & Java.

Thanks for taking the time to offer some sound advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom