Web Master needed...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Conor

Like you, I look here every now and again. I find YD generally more relevant for obvious reasons. I am certainly much more likely to dive with YD'ers than Scubaboarder's.

Adrian

I have to confess I have dived with both. By an odd twist I dived with YD'ers in Egypt and SB'ers in the UK, somehow I would have expected the opposite.

But the good thing is that both are very good and useful boards, So I'll be on both for a while yet.

Conor

Congrats to Adrian and Phoenix on being the inaugural Webmasters for the Ferrets! WWW.WreckFerrets.com should be up and running around the first of the year. Gentlemen you have a new forum under Site Support that should now be visible to you. Thanks for stepping up!

Adrian said...
Maybe it is because there are'nt many UK posters here - no real sense of community.
Perhaps the web site will give more sense of community if done well.

Getting back to you late as you may have noticed that I have stepped down as a regulator - for two reasons 1. I don't have the time to surf these days and 2. work have clamped down on surfing :) Combine the two and you don't see me much these days.

yo toshi yo!

Jonathan

What happened to my Avatar?!?!

Jonathan

While the UK area of ScubaBoard may be a useful catch for non-Uk divers to get UK info, there are more popular UK based fora anyway. What more is wanted?

UK Rec Scuba, DiverNet, Yorkshire Divers

would appear to be the most popular independant fora (there are others), plus the ones for each of the club organisations

BSAC, SAA (not very busy) and some branches have their own.

So what do you want of a UK section, that is not already covered elsewhere? This is a serious point. What is missing that you, or any body wants to see? Call it market research if you like :)

Adrian

Adrian,

I took a butchers and YD is the best of those - is it me or is DiverNet just impossible to find anything on?!?!

I have been a diver for about 5years. The first 2.5 were UK based and I never heard of YD until last year.... It does indeed look good for local divers finding buddies and diver sites but when it comes to dive medicine, decompression theory and photography to name some obvious one I think SB is in a league of it's own JMHO.

If this was all commercial I would suggest a take over and voila the Wreck Ferrets are YD!

Just had a play on google (UK) with words like scuba uk divers bulletin board - I'm afraid you don't get any hits for YD. Even with "UK Divers" Scubaboard comes up on page 4 and YD is not in the first 10 pages....

Enjoy....

Jonathan

Jonathan

I am a regular poster on YD, I listed several so as to not appear biased...

The forum s/w DiverNet and BSAC use is horrible, there are better free ones as YD shows. I think this is down to both websites being developed by the same person.

SB is a def when it comes do deco and medical issues. I've never looked at the photo's - most u/w photography leaves me bored - how many clownfish? There does not seem to be the artistic approach that land based photos include.

YD should take over WF! I seriously think that that the WF section does nothing for UK diving. If any UK diver only used WF as a source of UK info, they would never come back. I don' t know how the 'powers that be' would consider dropping the whole UK forum thing and list UK forums instead. Let the users decide which they prefer for gen UK issues.

SB is sometimes known as ScubaBored, probably dues to its US centric POV, but that should be no surprise.

Interesting issue re Google, I wonder what can be done.

Adrian

Well Adrian,

That's why we put you as one of the webmasters for the Wreck Ferrets! This way you can produce the finest the internet has to offer. Give the other sites a bit of competition and skew our collectiove vision a bit more towards the UK. Hopefully the web pages will be up and running soon.

NetDoc

Having asked readers what they want to see (no replies yet) in this thread, I will start a new one.

Depending on the results, I will decide what I will do next. Be warned, if there is not much interest, I will recommend that the UK web be NFA'ed for now and step down. I am a firm believer of killing projects if they look like they will waste people's time (and mine!) and money, or duplicate existing work. I will PM Phoenix to see what he is up to.

Adrian

I would never want someone to waste their time... but there is always room for improvement with just about ALL websites.

Back
Top Bottom