Weather or Not to Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
About 2 weeks ago, I went TEN DAYS without diving due to surface temps. Air temp was -20f with wind chills to -50f. Thank the Lord were havin' a heat wave now, back in the 30's!!:mostlysun

Hey Rick. The other night we had the same conditions plus fog and we were under the ice pulling a truck up from 60 feet.

Ron

Lightning, seas over about 3' (I use a Navy wave-prediction model to check before going) or FOG (vis under about 1/4 mile - not for me, but for all the idiots running at 30+ knots in the fog with no radar!) will call it for me.

Ok, I assume I'm an idiot, but can someone explain to me why lightning is dangerous in diving in salt water?

I don't understand electricity that well, but I understood that it takes the most direct route to ground that it can....so that it encounters the least resistance. This is how workers can work on live power lines after they hook a suitable ground cable to it (on the correct side, I assume).

If Im in the water, the salinity is .09%, which is the same as the salinity of body fluids...therefore lightning would rather hit water than me, since it has to go through my tissues, which have more resistance. If Im on a boat which is metal, the electricity will go through the metal, which conducts electricity better than me, and if Im on a fiberglass boat, it is a great insulater, and lightning wont hit us, because we are not grounded.

Is the risk only at the exact moment when I am getting out of the boat, and my tanks can act as a connecter to the water? Or what am I missing?

Have fun pickin me apart

Wetvet

What's dangerous is the gradient in the water - the field strength.

Its MUCH more dangerous in fresh water than salt (due to lower conductivity) but its not safe in salt either.

Plus, the boat could get hit. That would be bad, as a strike on the boat, even if it doesn't hole it (and sometimes it does!) almost always destroys every electronic device on board - often including the engine controls, if they're not fully mechanical, and almost always the radio and nav equipment.

A sailboat in my marina was hit last summer (three down from me - yikes!) and suffered over $25,000 worth of damage. His tall mast may have prevented ME from getting struck though, so perhaps "thank yous" are in order :D

I can add conditions like roads that even a 4 x4 would be questionable. I had to call a dive to Eagles Nest because my van don't work well in wet sugar sand. The outside temp was OK.

I think you have to decide if you can safely enter and exit the water. Also, it depends on how experienced the divers are.

Rick Inman:
About 2 weeks ago, I went TEN DAYS without diving due to surface temps. Air temp was -20f with wind chills to -50f. Thank the Lord were havin' a heat wave now, back in the 30's!!

Ron Brandt:
Hey Rick. The other night we had the same conditions plus fog and we were under the ice pulling a truck up from 60 feet.

Ron
Well, guess I'm just a W.W.W...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom