Weather And Tank Air For Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shazza252

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So Iv'e just recently moved to to America for work from Oz and I'm headed down to Belize in June for a week of diving. Thinking of staying at Turneffe Island Resort as such my first question is Iv'e only ever dived in Australia on the east coast and also east coast of Africa so Iv'e never had to deal with Hurricane Season only Cyclone Season But I never go up north during the wet too many damn Jellies hate those things! So I'm always diving during the dry but now that I'm over here this could be problematic, anyone know how the weather is in June or am I just being paranoid? Secondly with all the dive sites and depth that TIR offers would it be worth getting Nitrox certification before I go? Or am I sweet just on normal tank air?

You are going to have fine weather. Honestly I love the June to August season, hot and dry.. Chances are you will be diving wet, 3mm or less, I would advice using a skin, for those little things that sting... Nitrox is nice but not always as available in Belize, it depends on the operation. The dives range in the 60 - 90 foot range and unless you are hugging the coral you can get a nice long 50 - 60 minute dive...

When we went, we stayed down south. Left the day rainy season started, that was also by chance the only day it rained during our 10 day trip. Save the earthquake it was amazing weather...

Hank49 lives in Belize, I am sure he will stop in here and fill in more...

As far as nitrox, if we wanted it they would have had to bring tanks from the north which made it cost prohibitive. If you can do the nitrox certification as it is a good one to have when you vacation in the Caribbean.

Hi Shazza252. June is the official start of hurricane season. I've been here for 13 years now and the ones that hit us was after August.

The weather can be fickle. It can still be hot and dry or it can be quite rainy with thunder storms.
A day or so after the hurricanes pass by on their way to Florida or the Gulf, we get beautiful calm weather.

Turneffe Island Resort is a very good choice. The only wind that can make it universally rough at Turneffe is a hard North but that won't happen in June. If it's blowing hard Trades, you can go to the west side of the atholl and get calm water. No problem.

The south tip of Turneffe is one of the fishiest spots I've ever seen and I've been to Tubbataha, Philippines and Sipadan, Malaysia. You have to go a bit south of the mooring buoys but man, so much fish. Have fun.

June is often a quite beautiful time of year in Belize. Yes, technically within hurricane season but later in the season is far more likely to be problematic. Can't advise you on nitrox. I'm a nitrox diver but that is a personal choice due to my dive style and history.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice really appreciate it. feel much better about going in June now

Certainly get a nitrox certification, but you may not be able to use it on this trip.

I will be there in June as well, Staying on Blackbird Caye, so I am hoping for beautiful weather! I've heard it can get buggy so bring/buy your DEET spray. I am getting Nitrox certified before going.

Certainly get a nitrox certification, but you may not be able to use it on this trip.

Hey Peter, why do you think that? TIR offers Nitrox tanks (and nitrox certification instruction) as does Turneffe Flats. Has something changed?

I was only covering myself - I don't know if they do nitrox. If they do then all to the good. I think all divers should do a nitrox course anyway (though not the latest totally dumbed down PADI one - I'd suggest IANTD or TDI) as it teaches them so much more about diving.

Back
Top Bottom