Wearing your BP/W on Airplane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, as of today the TSA officially allows body armor in all baggage
I bet it's common for military men/women to travel with body armor. It wasn't long ago that it was very common for families to buy kevlar/plate and send it to their young enlisted kids deployed abroad. Maybe the govt is now better about getting kevlar for every soldier and that doesn't happen as much, I don't know. Anyway, when those soldiers come back on a commercial flight they are bringing their personally owned body armor with them.

Personally, I put my bp/w in a checked bag when flying. It's heavy, and I don't want to haul it around. It hasn't been lost yet, and my bags have had the "you've been searched" paper in them on occasion. If it does get gone, I'll rent a bcd for the duration of the trip. Regs and masks go in my carry-on.

If you want to wear your backplate, then why not put it in a carryon to get through TSA? After TSA but before you board the plane, take it out and put it on.

So if most think one can get away with it with a back plate, which is obviously metal, then I assume a lightweight travel BCD should be no problem?

I"m getting confused. Are we talking about wearing it which was the original OP question or are we talking about putting it in the carryon? If the latter, I did not realize it could be a problem.

Wearing it, like a vest. In an old post from 2010 someone cited Delta as saying it was ok for passengers to have their own life preservers! So there's that idea!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom