Wearing your BP/W on Airplane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would only try this with my Freedom Contour as it feels like an orthopedic back support. But when I last took this BP/W to St.Croix, it was in my Scuba bag, and airport security still gave me the squinty eyeball, like they suspected it of being body armor or something.
So I wondered if anyone has tried this method of getting luggage weight down.

:(
I have enough trouble with my looks getting thru security without a BP/W on me that I don't wear one. I put mine in checked luggage.
For those wearing it, please don't go thru the metal detector.:)

Considering exactly the same thing. Planning a trip to Canada with my Freedom Plate under a big jacket. "Take off your belt and shoes". Oh yeah, then there is this...

Most interested in replies...

Well if the security does squawk, I can still cram BP/W into my carryon, since i will have gotten past the Valkyrie-women pre-screening carry-ons for size and weight. (You have seen these women right? Grim Reapers of Gear?). Anyway, so when i am in security I can unzip expander on my suitcase and stuff it in.

I know a guy who boarded a flight in FULL motorcycle protective gear, leathers boots helmet and all.
He didn't have a comfortable flight but getting through security was no problem.
If you can wear it you can bring it, as long as it's not illegal or anything like that.

Get a dry bag and poke holes through it and put some grommets in it and attach it to the back plate. Then you've got a carry-on backpack that you can actually use as a carry-on.

Get a dry bag and poke holes through it and put some grommets in it and attach it to the back plate. Then you've got a carry-on backpack that you can actually use as a carry-on.

Doesn't poking holes in a dry bag negate its purpose??

Doesn't poking holes in a dry bag negate its purpose??

Not if the goal is to carry-on your BP/W. It gets your BP/W on without having to check it, and you get actual carry-on storage space.

Not if the goal is to carry-on your BP/W. It gets your BP/W on without having to check it, and you get actual carry-on storage space.

But any duffle bag would work, doesn't need to be poked, and is probably cheaper than a dry bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom