Wearing Snorkel on Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually BJD I had plans to patent a deployable dive flag from an elongated snorkel but never thought of the pink color. Great idea! Can I use it?

Diver Dennis:
Actually BJD I had plans to patent a deployable dive flag from an elongated snorkel but never thought of the pink color. Great idea! Can I use it?

Be my guest! I would suggest a lavender stripe as well. It sets off the ensemble such a treat!!:D

downunderjenn:
I have had recent debate over the necessity of wearing a snorkel on your mask. An instructor friend of mine insists that a Snorkel is a necessary safety device for surface breathing. Yes, it comes in handy for waves. His point was in an out of air at the surface situation it allows a diver to breath and is a necessary safety tool. I am tired of lugging it around, but always wear it due to PADI standards. What are your viewpoints on the matter?
ditch the snorkle unless you're snorkling...

Use your regulator and plan your dives. If you have to carry one, use one that folds up.

Snorkel, what is it good for!!??
The ONLY situation u can use a snorkel is when you are at the surface and still want to see some things happening underwater. At the surface it's the best to lean backwards on the BCD which will push you up. When there are waves it's hard to use aswell to use, and with quiet conditions there is no use aswell. When u want to bring a snorkel, don't put it on your mask. Put it in a pocket or somewhere on your body..

Snorkels above water do the same job as a huge cloud of silt under the water - they highlight where the PADI dive school is operating so that everyone else can stay well clear.

I find on a long swim, wearing a hood, in cold water (i.e. tight fitting hood) then I use the snorkle mouthpiece to help breathe. Holding my jaw open against the streatch of the hood to breathe through my mouth for an extended period of time simply wears my jaw muscles out. Biting on the snorkle fixes this. Need a bite block when at the dentist as well - go figure. Probably has something to do with my other hobby - woodwind player - muscles are developed to hold the lips closed.

In warm water - no hood - the thing drives me crazy. I think it is time to ditch it.

Kim:
What's a snorkel?

A snorkel is a device that allows a submarine to operate submerged while still taking in air from above the surface. It was invented by the Dutch just before World War II and perfected by the Germans during the war for use by U-boats.

Also, military wheeled vehicles, like Jeeps, are capable of mounting snorkels for the air intake and engine exhaust, to allow them to wade through relatively deep water, limited by the height of the driver's head.

Hope that helps. I take it that you know what a mask is.

Diver Dennis:
It's just like the mask on the forehead debate, if you feel like wearing your snorkel is beneficial for you then do it. I'm not going to bash anyone for wearing their snorkel or having their mask on their forehead. Now not being a good buddy, that's a different matter.

Yeah, it's just like the "Mask on Forehead" debate...minus about 3000 replies.
:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom