Wearing contacts during divemaster skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the responses, guys. I do have extra contacts and my glasses with me for tonight. I am mentally, and I certainly hope physically, prepared to do whatever it takes to accomplish these skills tonight.

How did it go?

Thanks for asking, Mike. I did not get home until late, and was too tired to post. Here is the short version:
The good news:
I did NOT lose any contacts.
I successfully completed the Scuba Ditch and Don, the Scuba Bailout, the 25 yards underwater, and the 20 minute tread, all per NAUI S&P.
The bad news: I could NOT do the $#%* snorkel ditch and don. It was NOT a problem of being able to hold my breath long enough, but I kept floating up while I was trying to collect and don my gear. We even tried a couple of different amounts of weight, and I could not stay down. I am 6'1", 180. It was baffling, and very frustrating, but obviously something I am going to have get a better understanding of the required technique, and then practice until I get it. I have been told it is a "mental" thing, but that is hard to accept when I keep rising to the surface. Oh well.

Thanks for asking, Mike. I did not get home until late, and was too tired to post. Here is the short version:
The good news:
I did NOT lose any contacts.
I successfully completed the Scuba Ditch and Don, the Scuba Bailout, the 25 yards underwater, and the 20 minute tread, all per NAUI S&P.
The bad news: I could NOT do the $#%* snorkel ditch and don. It was NOT a problem of being able to hold my breath long enough, but I kept floating up while I was trying to collect and don my gear. We even tried a couple of different amounts of weight, and I could not stay down. I am 6'1", 180. It was baffling, and very frustrating, but obviously something I am going to have get a better understanding of the required technique, and then practice until I get it. I have been told it is a "mental" thing, but that is hard to accept when I keep rising to the surface. Oh well.

Glad things went well with the contacts. Regarding the snorkel ditch and don, just keep at it. I'm sure you'll eventually get it. Since I'm doing PADI DM, I can't really offer any advice as we don't do that skill.

Snorkel ditch and don can be a bear. I've found that the most important thing is to relax, and exhale just a bit as you go down. Standards say the mask needs to be clear and the snorkel breathable. It does not say you have to clear it on the bottom. If you clear it without bringing your head out of the water and still have enough air left to clear the snorkel the skill has been met. I've never tried it with weights on but it seems that would make it a lot easier for me anyway. I'm doing my YMCA crossover and all the skills are basically the same as NAUI. There are some extras that NAUI does not seem to do but as my instructor is a NAUI tech instructor as well we are not missing anything from both. I already have my PADI DM and it was a breeze compared to this. But in the end I'll be a YMCA AI and going for instructor in May.

Back
Top Bottom