Wearing contacts during class pool session?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upwelling

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

My vision is pretty bad. I'm leaning toward trying contacts for diving (haven't learned to dive yet). The only thing I'm wondering is whether there is some exercise during the pool sessions of the class where you have to open your eyes underwater and they could fall out? thanks in advance

You shouldn't be required to open your eyes underwater for your class, but It wouldn't be a bad idea to get used to it. In the event that you did loose a mask u/w. When your in the pool you might just want to leave you contacts off to do the required skills. You don't have to see "perfact" for any of them. Or wait and watch all of the other students do the skills. Jump out, take off you contacts, and then do them.

From my experience teaching
People with contacts tend to leave them in during the OW classes, most have not had any problems opening their eyes with the contacts in place, however if you are unsure keep your eyes closed.

Also advise keeping your eyes closed when clearing your mask, as this is when they tend to fall out. You will get my drift when you are in the pool.

Hi. You need to take the mask fully off during the training and put it back on and you also need to swim some metres without it on. I wore contacts during my training and I wear them when diving. I've never had any problems - touch wood. Just keep your eyes shut during the bits of the training when the mask is off. Like you, I kind off worry about something happening, like the mask getting knocked off, in which case if I didn't catch it I'd have to open my eyes and my lenses would come out. Then I'd be in a difficult situation given my poor eyesight. If it was difficult, I'd call the dive. However, so far so good and the lenses and the mask have met the challenge! GOod luck with the training.

I've been wearing contacts for a long time now -- a lot longer than I've been diving. I learned to dive with them, and still do.

In your classes (confined and OW) there are some skills that may cause problems with contact lens wears -- namely the flooding of the mask and mask removal. By informing your instructor that you wear contacts, and may require to keep your eyes closed, should resolve any issues.

However, I think you should be prepared that in the event of loosing your mask or your mask flooding to experience what it is like being in the water without contacts. How? Get in the water without the lens, and dive. Know your limits under water. Have a spare set in your kit.

If you squint the contacts won't come out

for all the helpful information...I think I will wear disposable contacts and bring an extra pair in case anything happens. I was thinking about getting a prescription mask eventually, but I don't really want to spend all that money on something like that when I'm getting started, since I could end up buying a crappy mask by mistake given my lack of knowledge at this point.

Welcome to Scubaboard, Junko. The solution you mentioned is just what I did (back in 1996), and it worked great for me. At the time, I used disposable contacts, and I just brought an extra pair with me. As it turned out, in spite of opening my eyes underwater, I never lost a contact. Good luck, and enjoy diving!

Rick

junko once bubbled...
for all the helpful information...I think I will wear disposable contacts and bring an extra pair in case anything happens. I was thinking about getting a prescription mask eventually, but I don't really want to spend all that money on something like that when I'm getting started, since I could end up buying a crappy mask by mistake given my lack of knowledge at this point.

Back
Top Bottom