We have a new DI within our ranks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats Renee. You've just opened the door to a wonderful way to LIVE! PM me if you ever want to get together and chat...

How about posting a brief report about your ITC experience. That's always enlightening for folks who are thinking about earning a professional ranking.

Congrats Renee!!! My wife can't wait until she can start her Instuctor's Course.

P.S. Nice new pic there Grier!!!

Waterbabie:
Congrats Renee. You've just opened the door to a wonderful way to LIVE! PM me if you ever want to get together and chat...

BTW - do I know you? Saw on your links that you know the folks at Ocean Safari. That is my home shop. Perhaps we have met?

MB:
How about posting a brief report about your ITC experience. That's always enlightening for folks who are thinking about earning a professional ranking.

First of all I should say I did not take the traditional route to this point. My Instructor, Wally Barnes, and I have a long history together and the progression just happened although it has been over the course of a couple years.

I think the most important first step I took was the NAUI Master Diver class because it really took my understanding of the mechanism of diving and the diving world to a new level.

After that it was dive, dive, dive and learn, learn, learn. I was never concerned about whether I could teach as I have been teaching emergency training for over 15 years and truly love teaching.

Regardless, the most intimidating part is the doing! Just because you can take your mask off underwater doesn't mean you can show another how, or instill instant confidence - remember how scary that skill was the first time you tried it? And when you stand in front of students and try to explain theory - without putting anyone to sleep - you will be surprised at how hard it is - (unless of course you are just planning to read the slides.)

So I encourage instructor potentials to practice with friends, with family, with any guinea pig you can find all those basic skills - before you try it in front of your instructor trainer.
Get out your open water book and relearn the language of beginners and then get out there and DO IT!

There is much said on this site about how important the instructor is in the success of learning. But in this course I believe it is 90% up to you - the candidate - to succeed and excel.

And that's my two cents .....

ReneeC:
First of all I should say I did not take the traditional route to this point...QUOTE]

I know Wally, and I know he'd arrange a good Instructor course for you! You observations are good ones, and I agree that the Master Diver course is an eye opening experience when its done the right way. It IS the knowledge basis that instructor can use for the rest of their careers.

Its great to have another NAUI instructor in the area. Again - welcome!!!

Thanks Again!
I am very excited to get started!

Congrats Renee. Way to go!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom