We dive but do we protect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MisterMeij

Registered
Reaction score
We all love Scuba. Thats probably the reason we are on this forum. But with all this commercial diving and blowing bubbles are we really that conscious about the environment we dive into? Do we really think about the effect it has when we put on out fins and slowly walk into the water?

I strongly believe that we think we do. I really think that if I ask any diver are you concerned about marine life every one will answer YES I DO.

I asked myself this question over and over again and came to the conclusion that only saying that I think about it is not enough. Why? Because it doesn't really actively help protect. Thinking about it is not related to any action in any way.

So I decided to take action myself. I decided to build a company to engage people (not specific divers) to create awareness that there is a need to not only think. But also act.

At the same time I realised that 90% of the people think about but just don't have the knowledge and power to act. How can we help? What can we do? So I started to focus on these questions.

I will also ask the question here:

How do you think you can contribute help protecting what we all love so much? Please give me your honest answer. (leave me alone is also and answer)

This is not to gather info how I should build a company. Because the company is already build and we will launch with a lot of noise!

Scubaya

But I like to keep continue listening to people to get more ideas and keep innovating.

With my long trackrecord in Tech companies and building complex systems. I wanted to take this knowledge and solve actual problems. Problems that need to be solved. am I saying I will change the world myself?

No WE are trying to be part of the change. Simply because its not only me. It has always been us.

I just initiated my idea and the whole Scubaya.com team executed on it. And now you can be part of this.

So is this a commercial post? No I sincerely ask you to be conscious about this topic and help us. To build the best solution out there to start protecting while you think about it.

I cant disclose yet how and what exactly we are going to achieve this. But we will give monthly/weekly updates.

Please give me your most honest answer on how you think you can contribute the best and most simplified way to not only think about diving and protecting our oceans and marine life.

I want to hear it from the source since you have the most knowledge. That what I assume.

Last but not least. I hope my thoughts are not wrong and that every single diver has a responsible feeling protecting our oceans.

Since we do not own the oceans we just share them.

Thank for your contribution, Dirk

I think as divers we all do share a common interest in protecting our oceans and marine life and have a greater influence on the people that don't respect them

Whenever I go diving I usually take a mesh laundry bag with me and collect any rubbish I find along the way other divers seam to take a lot of notice and now do the same and as odd as it sounds it can be very enjoyable

Nice post keep up the good work!

I think as divers we all do share a common interest in protecting our oceans and marine life and have a greater influence on the people that don't respect them

Whenever I go diving I usually take a mesh laundry bag with me and collect any rubbish I find along the way other divers seam to take a lot of notice and now do the same and as odd as it sounds it can be very enjoyable

Nice post keep up the good work!

Thank you for the kind words! We really try to make the change and build something that doe snot exists and makes the life of divers/Dive Centers a bit more easier.
I believe in the succes of the product that we are building right now.

I also want to ask you all if you are triggered my my thoughts please subscribe:

Scubaya

We wont send out spam or boring email. We will send out educational information related to wat we love. And some nice goodies if we launch the project :)

Again I really appreciate your answer! If we all did this the oceans would be cleaner already!!!

//Dirk

We all love Scuba. Thats probably the reason we are on this forum. But with all this commercial diving and blowing bubbles are we really that conscious about the environment we dive into? Do we really think about the effect it has when we put on out fins and slowly walk into the water?

Divers are the least problem of the oceans. I can't even call us a problem, our "contribution" is so insignificant that it's practically zero. A few broken corals by students, that's maybe the worst. Divers don't discard millions of tons of rubbish and poisons into the ocean. The problem is our current economic system where the sole purpose is profit at all cost, it is based on consumption and therefore it produces more and more waste. We are active participants in this system by working, consuming, using money, etc. Picking up a few pieces of rubbish off the bottom will not solve anything. Well maybe it will alleviate the sense of guilt for a while :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom