We Can All Sleep Soundly Tongiht - Fries Are French Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Fries are French again on Capitol Hill
GOP had led 2003 push in House cafeteria to rename them ‘Freedom Fries’

Updated: 11:30 a.m. CT Aug 2, 2006

Call it a fry rapprochement.

Three years after now-embattled Rep. Bob Ney, along with Rep. Walter Jones, led the effort to rename french fries "Freedom Fries" in an attempt to strike back at France for not contributing to the Iraq war effort, the basement cafeteria of the House of Representatives has quietly reverted to using the original name, the Washington Times reported in Wednesday editions.

Now, Republicans have distanced themselves from Jones after he made a lonely call for withdrawal of American forces from Iraq.

For his part, Ney has been forced from the chairmanship of the committee in charge of running House operations after former aides tied to disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff have pled guilty of bribery.

A spokesman for Ney's replacement, Rep. Vern Ehlers, told NBC News, "It's no big deal. ... It's not news."

NBC's Michael Viqueira in Washington contributed to this report.

URL: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14152281/

Marc

And you know what's even funnier ?
French fries have nothing to do with France. The name comes from the culinary verb "to french", which means to cut into sticks !!!
Actually we French people believe that french fries are from Belgium. But I'm not sure that's the case.

Shows once again that Washington needs to study a subject before they start talking!

Comparing the French people with the French Government is wrong. R O N G wrong.

We who read books know that the French saved our butts in the Revolutionary War and the Civil War (southerners). The Ille de France also saved most of the survivors on the Andrea Doria. I never stopped calling them French Fries. However, I also properly call them Pomme Frits or just Pommes. The best Pomme Frits come from a roadside stand in Belgium. Or wrapped in a newspaper cone in Amsterdam.

Vinegar is good on them too - but nicht on the mayonnaise.

Absoutely no one can make French pastries or escargot like the French.

It's time that congress did something useful.

About time that absolutely absurd change was reversed. Totally agree with Tom's 2nd paragraph.

but nicht on the mayonnaise.

now, that was astounding.

nay, das mayonaise ist gute mit pommes frits......

after living in Europe for 4 years, on the border of germany and france, I can honestly say, I'll never miss going to france again......
The French don't even like each other, let alone everyone else in the world. Germany was a nice place to live, although it was the older generation that was nice to us americans, the young crowd though is a different story.
Politicians will always play games, that is what they do.....now if they would only lower my taxes and cut welfare, that would be news.....

mrjimboalaska:
Politicians will always play games, that is what they do.....now if they would only lower my taxes and cut welfare, that would be news.....

Why? How? You hardly pay any taxes and you don't have any welfare... :huh: :14:

TOS:
While we encourage discussion about a wide range of subjects, there are certain areas which elicit more animosity and subsequently far more flames. Consequently we ask that discussions involving politics and nationalities or anything of a sexual nature be reserved for other message boards that are better venues for these topics.
Just a friendly reminder...

Ahhh. My tax dollars at work.

For the love of all that's holy can't politicians stick to important topics?

Oh, right. I guess if they could maybe we wouldn't be stuck in the mud.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom