WBP Report - 7/30/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corigan

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes another not so exciting WBP report. M7scuba, Ccooper, KylePReid, and I all showed up at WBP around 9 to get in a few dives. It had rained pretty well the night before, and I had no idea what today would have in store for us. We showed up at the park and I felt like I was back in January again. The wind was ripping through the cove making a pretty decent chop on the surface. Nobody was out at the park except us divers. We saw Skierch and his students and had a nice chat before they got in the water. It was nice to see you again Skierch. We need to go diving soon in the future, sorry I can't make it out tomorrow. We went over the dive plan and got suited up and headed to the water. We were greated by nice 84F water. Did the dive in a .5 skin and was perfectly comfy the whole dive. We didn't venture under the thermocline. All the fish are in the shallows anyways, nothing much to see at depth in Lanier. The viz was definately the best I have seen it this summer. Since not many people were out on the lake we had 10-15' on the first dive. This was my first dive in doubles and all went well. I had no problems trimming them out and reaching my valves was cake. This was a pleasant suprise as reaching my valve on my singles used to take a little effort, this was effortless. It didn't even feel like I was wearing doubles underwater and that was a pleasant suprise as well. We all had a good dive and stayed above the thermocline in 10-15' of water most of the time. Dive time ran around :46 for M7scuba and I. It was nice diving with you M7scuba, I hope you come out and join us more often. It would be a pleasure to dive with you again. Anyways, Ccooper, Kyle, and I waited out the surface interval. It was brutal, the wind was ripping right through us. I was using a towel to cover up much of my dive skin, but it was still cold. We got back in the water to use what was left of my doubles and Ccooper's 130. We dove the same dive but saw some new kind of fish I had never seen before in Lanier. Viz was down to 5-8' at best on this dive. More storms, boats, and swimmers in the lake churning it up. I will have to try to find an ID on them, or take my camera out next time so I can bring back photographic evidence for an ID. Saw a little catfish that was hiding, and then all the usual cast and characters of bass and sunfish. We decided to turn the dive at about :40 since we were all getting hungry. We finished up at with a 69 minute dive and still all had a ton of gas left. There was some divers that were entering the water, looking at me rather oddly as I was purging out a bunch of air to get the tanks down to a low enough psi to do a weight check. I was definately heavy all day. Not a problem, but next time I will not bring the weight belt. It started raining as we were ripping our kits down, we just beat the storms. Even though the weather wasn't great, the diving was nice. It was also great to meet and dive with some fellow SBers. Thanks for coming out CCooper and M7scuba. Look forward to you coming out to some more dives in the future,

Matt

After much searching around the school of fish that I had never seen before in Lanier were spottail shiners. Pretty cool little species of minnows for the larger predator fish to snack on.

Matt

I guess I can now say that I'm a part of the Lake Lanier Looney Bird divers. :D It was great meeting some of the folks that I've seen on the board for a while. It was also great to get wet again. I thoroughly enjoyed the dive and will be back.

This was my first dive in my slightly modified Orion BC (10 lbs of weight on the back) and also the first dive on my new regulator set. Things looked pretty good until I pressurized the setup and my octo had this nice steady hiss. After taking a look at the options available, I decided that I could do the dive without a backup (since we were only going to be at 10-15'). Oh, I didn't have a plug (left them at home). Thanks Kyle for letting me borrow one so that I didn't have to scrap the dive. Took the reg in for service this afternoon and hope to hear back soon. I guess I need to start putting my save-a-dive kit together!

I decided to drop 6 lbs from my previous dive weight (salt water and same wetsuit) which had me at 16 lbs. I had a real tough time staying off the bottom. Seemed like a 2 foot difference in depth really impacted my buoyancy. I thought that I may have started off a little heavy, but didn't think I would have been off by more than a couple of pounds. After we got back I was at 500 psi and took out 2 lbs and still sunk like a rock when I emptied my BC. After taking off 6 lbs I floated with my eyes below the surface. I guess I know where to start next time. When I got home there was some water in my BC, but I don't think it was very much. The amount of water didn't even move my bathroom scale 1 pound.

Finally on the subject of hoses... my primary drove me nuts. The hose was too long. Once I stuck it in my mouth I had this nice big loop over my right shoulder. It was so bad that I jerked the reg out of my mouth once with my hand. I guess my training was pretty ingrained because I just grabbed it and put it back in my mouth without a second thought. Since I need to buy different hoses anyway, I think that I am definitely going to switch over to a long hose primary (5') and bungied secondary. I almost went with that setup to start with, but talked myself out of it since no one at my LDS uses that setup.

m7scuba:
I decided that I could do the dive without a backup (since we were only going to be at 10-15').
That is how I looked at it. There was 4 of us, I was diving doubles with redundant regs (so most likely I wouldn't have needed your octo.), and we were only in 10-15' of water and never went deeper for nitrogen loading. CESA' would have been a perfectly fine option from that depth if anything went wrong that you couldn't get to air from me (which wasn't going to happen yesterday, we stuck together nicely).
I think that I am definitely going to switch over to a long hose primary (5') and bungied secondary. I almost went with that setup to start with, but talked myself out of it since no one at my LDS uses that setup.
Sounds like a good move to me. Some like it, some don't. I have dove with the bungeed safe second and 7' hose on my primary since day one of my training. It is an ingrained part of my training and I am really comfortable with it. Kyle tried the bungied octo/primary setup and decided it wasn't for him and went back to an AIR2 and such. That's his decision and what works for him is best for him. The question being is would you rather have a 7' or a 5' if you are going with a long hose. There is a little different routing technique with both. With the 5' it comes right under your arm and then around the neck from the left shoulder side and back around. The 7' does much of the same but instead of going under the arm it gets tucked down into your belt/harness or under a can light on the right side of your body. I prefer the 7' as it gives me more hose in OOG situations and I like the routing better (wasn't much for a hose in my armpit).

What ever you decided to do, I'm sure it will work for you. Look forward to diving with you in the future. I remember when I first started out, it was modifications constantly on my rig till I finally got happy with what I had. My GF used to joke around and ask me if I was ever going to be happy with things. I finally am now!

On another note, I hope they fix that reg so you can use it on your trip.

Matt

I though we were diving shallow at the bridge - we have you beat by 4' :D. I'm glad you guys got wet. I'm keeping conditions good for you all to get back here for some more panhandle diving.

SeaYoda:
I though we were diving shallow at the bridge - we have you beat by 4' :D. I'm glad you guys got wet. I'm keeping conditions good for you all to get back here for some more panhandle diving.
Sounds good SY. I hope to get back down there soon. I prefer shallow, long, and warm with little to no exposure suit, compared to dark, cold, deep, and no marine life. That is how it basically is in Lanier. The deeper you go, the less you see (except for the forest).

Matt

Had a great time diving, and meeting m7scuba and Ccooper. I hope we can all dive together again soon.

Diveland park on sunday 8-7, lets all get together a go make some bubbles.

Great Pics Brian. I love the last one.

Kyle and I were talking about it. Since I still only have one set of doubles setup I need to go to a place that has clean whips/air so I don't kill the o2 rating on my cylinders. I don't think I'll have my steels doubled by this weekend so I was thinking about heading out to Blue water since they have clean air/whips. Let me know what you all think,

Matt

Sounds like you guys got some good dives in, congrats on the new fish ID :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom