Wazee Lake, Black River Falls, WI. Friday the 13th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dubious

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I had planned to dive fortune pond in Crystal Falls, MI. but the dive shop did not have enough interest. Since it would be our first time diving there, we did not feel comfortable going by ourselves so we decided to go to Wazee Lake located in Black River Falls, WI. It was only a day trip with 4 dives planned. We had a late start so we were only able to complete 3. It was chilly and wet outside with high wind.

Dive 1

We entered at Bluegill Alley. We had decided to hit the second platform at this site sitting in around 65 feet of water. This platform is not marked with a buoy. Instead, there is a rope that leads to it from the first platform which is marked by a bouy. Water temp dropped to a cold 42 degrees Fahrenheit. We explored the ledge near the platform and dropped to around 82 feet. We did not spend too much time at this depth since we were wearing our 7mm wetsuits. Total dive time was 50 minutes. I was chilled after that dive. With the cooler air temps, I think my wife and I are leaning towards a drysuit now.

Dive 2

We once again entered at bluegill Alley, but this time we were diving with steel 72's for the first time. This was a big change from the hp 100 we were used to. For this second dive, we did the compass course which we very much enjoyed the first time we were at Wazee for our AOW. Bottom time was only 35 min. Max depth was 39 feet with bottom temperature of 56 degrees Fahrenheit.

Dive 3

Our final dive was much later than we had planned. We ended up spending some extra time at Wazee Sports Center talking to Keith Cormican. For those of you who don't know, Keith is the founder and director of Bruce's Legacy. He is a great guy. While we were getting fills he told us about the work he has been doing with Bruce's Legacy.

This time we entered at Sherwood Forest. This entry has many cool things. To the right is Sherwood forest. To the left are fish cribs, a small sunken boat, and a dive platform. Straight ahead there is an underwater road the leads to the quarry depths. There is also a 70-foot platform. We had planned to spend most of the time swimming through the forest, but I had troubles pulling the dive flag without snagging the trees. Total bottom time, 65 minutes. Max depth was 53 feet. Bottom temp 61 degrees Fahrenheit.

Wazee is a fun place to dive. Did my first solo dive to 100 feet over the 65 foot platform by Bluegill Alley. There was a line running over the edge with an attached marker showing the 100 foot point. Good, low risk place to experiment. It is cold although less so this time of year. I dive there in a 7mm freediving suit although a drysuit would be warmer. Thanks for your post

Thanks for the post! I still have to get up to Wazee.

Back
Top Bottom