Ways to Prevent a Scuba Diving Mask From Fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

New mask...........use Soft Scrub (rinse well). It really works. I've been a toothpaste fan for years, but my latest mask would still fog after repeated cleanings.

After that, I like the defog that is the thick stuff (viscous). I use it before a dive, rinse before my dive, and it's OK. Diluted baby shampoo works too. A $1. bottle of the generic is just as good as the brand name. Use a clean spray bottle, fill it up and it will last a long time. 25% shampoo, 75% water should work, but try a little less shampoo until you find a good mix.

Between dives I still use a little toothpaste after I clean all my gear and stow my stuff. It does help, and it smells good too. Try not to get it in the sides, where the frame meets the glass.

Fogging up during a dive, let a 'little' water in and swish it around. You are balancing the temperature of the water vs the interior of your mask.

If you forget it all at the dive, spit in it. It works. Good luck.

Safe diving to you.

I put a good amount of my own spit inside the mask. Swirl it all over nice and good with your finger, rinse, and you're set! You can never run out or forget it at home either! haha. As mentioned above, if it does happen to get a little foggy, just let in a little water, swish, and clear... although I usually keep a tiny bit of water in my mask throughout the entire dive anyway. With these 2 tricks, I find retail products a complete waste of time and money.

The added advantage is that if you can't spit enough to defog your mask you are not hydrated enough and should sit one out and drink more water.

Bob
--------------------------------
I may be old but I’m not dead yet.

I was talking with one guy who told me about a time when was desperate after his mask fogged in the middle of a dive. He took the mask off, licked inside of the lenses, and put it back on. He swore it worked. YMMV :wink:

It would work, and if the guy could lick the face plate inside his mask skirt...... well thats another story again

CAUTION; ACHTUNG; ATENCION

do NOT, under any circumstances, precede this method
with a hearty meal of curries, chillies, pepper, etc.:no:

Y'all have been warned. :cool2:

Aw man, and this entire time I thought it was the salt in the water! But hey, the spicy food in mexico is definately worth a little pain in the eye!

I burn mine with a lighter. The urban legend about melting the skirt, which is silicone and molded at high temperature, is a non issue. I was somewhat concerned when I burned my Atomic Frameless because I am not completely sure what bonds the glass into the silicone skirt, but whatever it is seems capable of taking the heat from the lighter and my masks do not fog. N

Tooth paste when I first buy the mask and after that baby shampoo and water mix works wonders. I have tried all kinds of anti fog and none of them work as well as baby shampoo and water in a squirt bottle. Spray a few squirts in there a minute or two before going down, rub it all over the inside and let it sit. Right before you go in dunk it in fresh water ONCE. Never had fog. Anyone who has a problem with fog I have them try this and it works everytime. The only time it doesn't is when they rinse it a few times to make sure that its clean. Its the residue that works as the anti-fog, thats why its baby shampoo so it won't hurt your eyes.

Do you rinse the baby shampoo off be fore you put the mask on?

With the baby shampoo mix, just a quick rinse after you spray it in, right before your dive. I normally rinse out the thick defog I buy at the LDS pretty well, since it has a residual effect, but the baby shampoo mix will be much thinner, so you want to leave a 'little' of the mix in the mask. If you get a little fog during the dive, just let a little water in, and clear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom