Ways to enhance photos while snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My recommendations is to find a stationary subject, such a nudi, and practice on that and then move on to something slightly more challenging and build experience and comfort.

Have her practice shooting above water, just to get a feel for the camera controls. Find something small for her to practice macro on. It's not going to be the same as underwater but it will help her learn what the camera can do. Also, download the pictures and critique them, look at the good points and the areas to improve on. It will help.

She is not likely to be doing much macro work as a snorkelers.

If she isn’t certified before our trip to Bonaire in January I may introduce her to a weight belt and get her neutral. She has always had a hard time descending. I’ve even suggested that she takes free diving lessons just for her photography.

@js1221, you’re correct, and she has said it herself, she needs to practice with the camera topside.

If she isn’t certified before our trip to Bonaire in January I may introduce her to a weight belt and get her neutral. She has always had a hard time descending. I’ve even suggested that she takes free diving lessons just for her photography.

@js1221, you’re correct, and she has said it herself, she needs to practice with the camera topside.
You might also get her in a tidal pool. She can practice underwater, most tidal pool residents are pretty stationary and she can stand up or float on the surface.

She is not likely to be doing much macro work as a snorkelers.
Maybe not, but she may as well learn all the capabilities of the camera. You never know when an opportunity may present itself.

Learn how to shoot and do post processing in RAW format (ORF files for Olympus). I used to shoot while diving using an old Canon s95 point without a strobe shooting in RAW format. In high visibility water less than 50 feet deep or so there was enough light to get some pretty good shots and to bring back the vibrancy/color saturation and adjust the exposure, contrast, clarity, and white balance and to do some decent cropping to at least make it look like you got close. And you should be getting more light than that while snorkeling. I now shoot with a TG6 and strobes when diving, but with no strobe when snorkeling. Not as good as getting close and using a strobe, but should produce better results than you are currently getting. And you will benefit from this when shooting while diving as well.

The two biggest problems are distance, which she knows getting closer would help, and when the sun goes behind clouds. I had a suspicion that there really wasn’t much that she could do, but I don’t do much with cameras. As she gets used to the camera she can play around with post production, but I’m not sure how much that will help with those two problems.

This was taken in natural light at 3m depth. I was using 100% super macro.

A VERY TINY HERMIT CRAB.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom