ways to carry a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use an ultimate pony bracket with a rip cord release so if i need to i can hand it off it is back mounted with a neck lanyard i plan my dive like the reserve is not even there and have no worries during the dive ill hit my pony purge just for comfort.

dive safe and make it work for you

Kind of cool; when I looked at Google Maps, the satalite image shows the surfers! Straight out from the parking lot walking / duck diving past the line up; then at the bottom of frame where the one surfer is with cars next to the highway is the exit. Current is the only reason to exit that far away from car; couldn't get back closer!

(just as streamlined, or more-so )

Please post your profile pic here and explain the physics of how that is "just as streamlined, or more so?" :shocked2:

I use an ultimate pony bracket with a rip cord release so if i need to i can hand it off it is back mounted with a neck lanyard i plan my dive like the reserve is not even there and have no worries during the dive ill hit my pony purge just for comfort.

dive safe and make it work for you

X2, although I don't use an Ultimate Bracket. My rig looks a lot like Steve's rig (without the nylon). I see nothing wrong with the nylon rope. Hey, whatever works.

I must have missed the joke? that setup looks pretty scary to me. but hey, your life. (I saved the pic for my students, nylon rope? epic.

Huh. I train my students to be safe and comfortable. Not too concerned if they make their own gear, as long as it's safe and works for them.

This is Maui; there are no entanglements! :idk:

thinking like that will get you killed. sad.

thinking like that will get you killed. sad.

biggest problem with back mounted pony/bailout bottles is that in the event of an entanglement, you'll have to take off your gear to repair it. something we're all trained to do

I'm confused, if the first post is how you feel, how can the second make sense?

I think you're confused too. one has nothing to do with the other.

your blanket statement of the lack of entanglement hazards in your slice of the ocean speaks to extreme complacency. complacency kills.

we'll see what happens when you scooter yourself into an invisible monofilliment fishing net. but hey, you're trained to remove your kit, so why worry?

we'll see what happens when you scooter yourself into an invisible monofilliment fishing net. but hey, you're trained to remove your kit, so why worry?

Post your profile pic here and tell me what the difference would be between you scootering yourself into an invisible monofilliment fishing net and me scootering myself into an invisible monofiliment fishing net. :coffee:

you're really hell bent on my posting my profile pic. don't like taking the extra effort to make that one mouse click to see it?

ever been in a net? I used to dive around lots of them, 100's of hours. been wrapped up in a few. it's no picnic. now I dive in the tick kelp beds of BC's coast, another place where hangups are a constant issue, although just an annoyance in comparison. a slung bottle is under your arm, your shoulders break the current and you arm/elbow generally protects the valve (the only real hangup area) for tanglies. if something does get hung up on it, it's right in front of you to fix. low task loading. ever watch videos of the tech guys on their scooters, and where their stage bottles sit while they're in forward motion? hmmm.

so while I'm comparing our two rigs at your request, you're twice as likely to get something caught on your back, requiring you to remove your gear.... oh wait, but there's the posts from your yoke-style regs too! make that 4x, and then there is the wedge point between your main tank and bailout.....

but hey, who am I to argue with the internet experts. everyone has their own level of risk they're comfortable with. I'm done trying to teach this particular pig to sing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom